Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you going to upgade to Windows 10 today?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    i did not receive an email but the windows 10 icon at the lower right of the screen has disappeared so something must be happening in the background.
    You can still go to your Windows Update page and it's right there.

Well, ... I also got the informative "Something went wrong", "please try again later" message. Oh well, 0 for 1.

I downloaded it this morning and stuck it on my one laptop that only had Windows 8.1 that I never ran. not sure if I will like it as I use classic shell on my main laptop

Blog Entries
    No. But I am having issues with Win 7 updating on my 7 year old laptop. Failure to update. Going on 3 months now.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Well, ... I also got the informative "Something went wrong", "please try again later" message. Oh well, 0 for 1.

So, I re-tried the install about 10 min later and it worked. Tok about 45 min in all, and so far it works great . Best thing is that it looks a lot more like Win 7 than WIn 8. The stupid Win 8 start menu is gone.

Not sure how accurate this is, but here it is:
    Upgrading to Windows 10 will automatically make Microsoft Edge your PC's default Web browser, even if you used a different browser when your PC was running Windows 7 or Windows 8. You can make Mozilla Firefox, Google, Chrome, Apple, Safari or another app your default browser in Windows 10, but it's not as easy or intuitive to do that as it was in previous versions of Windows.

In an open letter to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Mozilla chief Chris Beard called that new browser experience "very disturbing."

"The update experience appears to have been designed to throw away the choice your customers have made about the Internet experience they want, and replace it with the Internet experience Microsoft wants them to have," Beard wrote.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Not sure how accurate this is, but here it is:
    Upgrading to Windows 10 will automatically make Microsoft Edge your PC's default Web browser, even if you used a different browser when your PC was running Windows 7 or Windows 8. You can make Mozilla Firefox, Google, Chrome, Apple, Safari or another app your default browser in Windows 10, but it's not as easy or intuitive to do that as it was in previous versions of Windows.

In an open letter to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Mozilla chief Chris Beard called that new browser experience "very disturbing."

"The update experience appears to have been designed to throw away the choice your customers have made about the Internet experience they want, and replace it with the Internet experience Microsoft wants them to have," Beard wrote.
    It would have been disturbing if the upgrade caused my Mozilla Firefox and Waterfox and Google Chrome to disappear, but they are all right there where I left them, along with Explorer - do that call Explorer Edge now? I don't regularly use that

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    No. But I am having issues with Win 7 updating on my 7 year old laptop. Failure to update. Going on 3 months now.
    I only have one issue, a non-critical update for my video card that fails repeatedly. Since it hasn't affected performance, I'm not worrying about it, I've hidden it and I'll wait for the next one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    It would have been disturbing if the upgrade caused my Mozilla Firefox and Waterfox and Google Chrome to disappear, but they are all right there where I left them, along with Explorer - do that call Explorer Edge now? I don't regularly use that

Pat,
    Microsoft has a new browser called Edge (Not Explorer Edge) It is one of the new features that comes with Windows 10. I have no experience with it other than what I have read. If I am to believe what I have read, MS Edge is quite a bit different than other browsers. I think one of the main features is that it makes annotation (marking up) of web pages simple and build in.
    According to what Julie is quoting, the upgrade will automatically switch your default browser to Edge. So if someone send you a link to a web page in an email, Windows will open that web page using Edge instead of what ever you were using. So the question is for those who have upgraded to Win10, did the upgrade change your default browser to Edge? or did it keep what you had for the default browser?
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-31-2015 at 2:41 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I also downloaded easeus go back as suggested on Cnet. They said that with windows 10 go back it will only work foe 1 month

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Pat,
    Microsoft has a new browser called Edge (Not Explorer Edge) It is one of the new features that comes with Windows 10. I have no experience with it other than what I have read. If I am to believe what I have read, MS Edge is quite a bit different than other browsers. I think one of the main features is that it makes annotation (marking up) of web pages simple and build in.
    According to what Julie is quoting, the upgrade will automatically switch your default browser to Edge. So if someone send you a link to a web page in an email, Windows will open that web page using Edge instead of what ever you were using. So the question is for those who have upgraded to Win10, did the upgrade change your default browser to Edge? or did it keep what you had for the default browser?

Edge is supposed to be standards compliant unlike I.E. so web pages display the same on all browsers without the need to add I.E. - only bits. In fact, I've seen it claimed that Edge is more standards compliant than Google Chrome. It seems web designers are not distraught about I.E. being deprecated, it makes their jobs easier not having to code for everybody else then I.E. specifically. I.E. 11 is still there if required for I.E. only intranets or built-for-I.E. web pages. I installed Win 10 build 10130 from a DVD. It upgraded to 10.162 then to the current version 10.240(?). I don't recall having to reset preferences. I did have to set Firefox as the preferred browser initially. Windows is and will remain my secondary O.S. but anyone with a reasonable grasp of Windows since 95 shouldn't have too much trouble if my experience is representative.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-01-2015 at 9:29 AM.

As I understand it, Microsoft has a link to download an .iso image that you can burn to a DVD and install Windows 10 from scratch. I'm still fuzzy on what key you use, but I believe you use your Windows 7 or 8.1 key to do a fresh install with the Windows 10 DVD you created.

Quote Originally Posted by David Masters View Post
    As I understand it, Microsoft has a link to download an .iso image that you can burn to a DVD and install Windows 10 from scratch. I'm still fuzzy on what key you use, but I believe you use your Windows 7 or 8.1 key to do a fresh install with the Windows 10 DVD you created.
    If you have windows 7 you will need a key to install it it will come from MS in your email. If you just download that Iso it will upgrade your windows 8.1 without a key and give it it's own. I am waiting for the key to install on a windows 7 machine but have it on 3 windows 8.1 machines.

Exactly which web standard is this new Edge browser supposed to be compliant with? Web standards are evolving so fast that I don't know how any browser can say they are compliant with current web standards. Then you have the problem of old websites not always working with new standards. What I really want is a browser that will display EVERY website properly, but that will never happen I know.

I still run into websites at least monthly that have copyright dates in the 90s. Based on the look I am pretty sure that was the last time the site was updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Pat,
    My upgrade left Firefox as the default web viewer.