Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Are you going to upgade to Windows 10 today?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Exactly which web standard is this new Edge browser supposed to be compliant with?
    That's what I'm wondering. MS seems to think they set the standards, even though others don't use them.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I did the upgrade last night with no problem. Everything is where I left it. Now if I can only figure out how to download pictures from my iPhone to the computer I'll be doing great.

Red
    RED

Exactly which web standard is this new Edge browser supposed to be compliant with?
    One that doesn't use ActiveX and VBScript for starters, I suspect. Malware slingers will be disappointed but can't please everybody.

Still waiting for Microsoft to download Windows 10. They said they will be doing in "Waves" and it could be days or weeks to actually get windows 10 downloaded. Guess I just have to wait in line like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Still waiting for Microsoft to download Windows 10. They said they will be doing in "Waves" and it could be days or weeks to actually get windows 10 downloaded. Guess I just have to wait in line like everyone else.
    If you can't wait try this

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Took about 2 1/2 Hours to get the new Windows 10 downloaded this Morning. Started at 9:30 AM and done right around 11:00 AM. A little bit of a learning curve and will take some getting used to. On down side, I don't know which free firewalls and free Anti Virus software will work best with Windows 10.

Any suggestions on that????

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Took about 2 1/2 Hours to get the new Windows 10 downloaded this Morning. Started at 9:30 AM and done right around 11:00 AM. A little bit of a learning curve and will take some getting used to. On down side, I don't know which free firewalls and free Anti Virus software will work best with Windows 10.

Any suggestions on that????

Avast & Bit Defender work. I don't know about others.

I'm trying to upgrade - but when I start a program, the icon does not show in the taskbar. If that's not fixed, I'll go back to 8.1. The installation put word and excel in the taskbar but nothing else shows up.

[Update] the program I had that bypassed the Metro interface in 8.1 was causing a conflict in 10. Once I uninstalled it, Win 10 worked fine.

[Another update] Now that it's working properly, it looks like a good operating system. I'm pleased with it. Still have to learn a few of the details about how to do certain things.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-05-2015 at 8:17 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I just reserved my copy to get it free, but will reserve judgement on when to actually install it after more review.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Launier View Post
    I just reserved my copy to get it free, but will reserve judgement on when to actually install it after more review.
    For any machine that fits the "If this thing craps the bed, I got problems" classification, I wouldn't be in any hurry. I'd also create a full disk image and not count on the rollback function prior to upgrading.

Being a retiree from 30 years in the computer business I always wait until the first service pack comes out on any new release. If you wait for the service pack 1 version you can be assured that the OS is stable. Good luck with early adoption. I stopped doing early changes to OS after Windows 2 (Windows 95) came out. It just wasn't worth doing all the update fixes every few weeks until it became stable. If you are not a big risk taker wait until the first service pack comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hart View Post
    Being a retiree from 30 years in the computer business I always wait until the first service pack comes out on any new release. If you wait for the service pack 1 version you can be assured that the OS is stable. Good luck with early adoption. I stopped doing early changes to OS after Windows 2 (Windows 95) came out. It just wasn't worth doing all the update fixes every few weeks until it became stable. If you are not a big risk taker wait until the first service pack comes out.
    Apparently already available after a fashion?

There's a cumulative update some are calling ``windows 10 service release 1'': KB3081424
    Last edited by William Adams; 08-08-2015 at 4:48 AM.