Thread: Shelving units, called "etageres"

Shelving units, called "etageres"

Copy of a piece by Ethan Allen. Planning to make five of them for our den, right after I finish a table and a desk.

See the shelves? They are plywood, edged with 1/4" strips. They are prepped for pocket screws, two at each column, one each way, and that is what fixes them in place. The 3/4 x 1 strips that go under the two shelves are aligned with 4mm dominos, and are glued into place after the pocket screws get driven.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like that'll be a nice project. You'll be using it for displaying lifetime achievment awards and such?

It looks attractive. I kind of had the notion that an etagere was a special design of stacked shelving where the shelves got larger top to bottom. I don't know. Maybe the meaning has broadened to mean any curio-type cabinet without sides. ..Or maybe my past impressions were misguided or mis-remembered.

Books, mostly. Last house had scads of built-in bookshelves, and this new place has none.

I like the design, but am curious as to why you chose this instead of bookcases, if that is the intended use. With the open sides, you will need lots of book ends which will take up space, limiting the amount of books you can store.