Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasering Bamboo

Lasering Bamboo

Have a client wanting to laser engrave bamboo boards. I'm not sure abut doing this material so I wondered what needs to be done with this material. The logo is about 5.5"l x 1.5" t, simple b&w.

Just looking for expert help.

Nothing really special about it, but you run it a little slower than other woods
    to get a dark burn. Bamboo boards are often oiled and than darkens the wood
    (or grass) so that the mark doesn't stand out quite as much. Moving slower will
    help get a darker mark so it is easier to see.

Since bamboo is usually laminated strips that can have varying color, don't be
    surprised to see variations in the depth and color. If that's a concern, you might
    mask first, engrave, spray clear, let it dry and then spray black or brown.
    Avatar courtesy of the awesome Frank Corker
    30w Mercury and workbench so full of misc. tools that
    I can't find any of them. So I have to buy them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    Nothing really special about it, but you run it a little slower than other woods
    to get a dark burn. Bamboo boards are often oiled and than darkens the wood
    (or grass) so that the mark doesn't stand out quite as much. Moving slower will
    help get a darker mark so it is easier to see.

Since bamboo is usually laminated strips that can have varying color, don't be
    surprised to see variations in the depth and color. If that's a concern, you might
    mask first, engrave, spray clear, let it dry and then spray black or brown.
    Very much the case. If you don't want to slow down or add power, you can also take the laser out of focus. This will increase the beam width which will allow a darker burn with less depth.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Thank you for the advice. Just really learning what I can do even with this poor old machine.

I did a bamboo cutting board last Christmas for a customer, hardest thing I have ever done.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

maybe this helps
    I am using the scrap pieces from the flooring installer of bamboo I get them for free and the good part is that the surface is already sealed.

they giverossmancoaster0001.jpgchocolate0001.jpg it for free. I cut the tong and grove of on the table saw and finish them with 2 poly clear coats. here a some sample if you need more help send me a PM
    greetings
    waltfl

Walt I notice you engrave with the grain I find Iget better results going against the grain

Quote Originally Posted by walter hofmann View Post
    maybe this helps
    I am using the scrap pieces from the flooring installer of bamboo I get them for free and the good part is that the surface is already sealed.

they giverossmancoaster0001.jpgchocolate0001.jpg it for free. I cut the tong and grove of on the table saw and finish them with 2 poly clear coats. here a some sample if you need more help send me a PM
    greetings
    waltfl
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Maybe it's just me, but those mirrored hands appear rather disturbing... Probably because it looks like left is right and right is left.

Looks like the same hand mirrored

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but those mirrored hands appear rather disturbing... Probably because it looks like left is right and right is left.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Could be, but they're still backwards.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Yes, that's what I said, but it remains that the "left" hand should be on the right and the "right" one should be on the left...

Sorry Glen I wasn't paying attention

hands.jpgbetter don't rag on my lousy cut and paste job lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    Yes, that's what I said, but it remains that the "left" hand should be on the right and the "right" one should be on the left...
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 07-30-2015 at 6:55 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

hi guys
    its a matter of opinion but this was not the question if I remember right it was regards to engraving bamboo.
    I just try to help out glen.
    the design is not in question.
    greetings
    waltfl

I got what I was looking for. But I was concerned about the backward hands?

He confused Glen (me) and Glenn (you)...