Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Epilog vs Trotec

It might be of interest to consider that the Trotec 80 watt machine has a ceramic tube which is the most advanced technology available today. Granted the ceramic tubes have not been around long enough to prove themselves but the technology may reduce the cost of ownership over the life of the machine dramatically. It would be prudent to check out the technology and if you believe it has value factor that into any decision to purchase. It is rare for people to discuss this technology here but it is worth the time to investigate the details, this is a very important component that can easily steer the decision to purchase in one direction or the other.

My Trotec Speedy 300 80 watt machine was one of the first that shipped with the new ceramic tube. Its over three years old and functions the same today as it did the day I received the machine. I hope that I can report the same performance level in ten years as the cost to replace an 80 watt tube is not chump change these days. I also recommend that anyone who is considering a new laser engraver inquire about the cost of tube replacement, this is not the kind of information that you want to find out later on when you need a new tube.

I wouldn't expect Trotec tubes to last any longer than any other tube. The Trotec unit I demo'd was only a few years old and had a leaky tube. Being completely objective, around the same time I demo'd a Universal unit and it also had a leaky tube.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

it's also about the throughput. how many products you can produce per hour. Cutting not too much of a difference so I hear but engraving nothing comes close to the Trotec .period.
    welcome to the Trotec laser family.

thanks,
    michael
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Vellore View Post
    If the prices are close then I would definitely go with Tortec. When I was buying, the Trotec was almost 50% more for a similar machine from Epilog and I still wanted to get a Trotec but went with Epilog to save some $$

I bought my Trotec 400 80w at a trade show last fall. I had previously been researching the fusion 40 75w and the trotec 400 80w for about a year before the trade show. I had been quoted previously for both and the quotes were within a few hundred dollars of each other for as close to the same equipment as I could get. At the show I asked both companies about a show special. Epilog told me there were no show specials on the Fusion models. Trotec cut about $6000 of my quote and added in a few extras. Needless to say, I went with the trotec.
    Trotec Speedy 400 80watt, IS400 Volume (2x), LS100ex, Rayzist SandBlaster,
    Valiani MATPRO IX 150 Mat Cutter, Mitre-Mite T-350 double miter saw

Well.. it's done, I'm a new owner of a Speedy 400 80 watt.. Lol. Epilog was great to deal with in Vancouver, but James from Trotec was to. So I guess, I will see down the road. So James & the Trotec family,do not let me down... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Congratulations Gary, put me on the list with Mike. The last machine I ever thought you'd buy was a Trotec. Enjoy it when you get it.
    It's amazing what a difference a rep can make. I'll elaborate on that a bit later...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    This may surprise a few people here but I just bought a Trotec Speedy 400 80 watt machine - it should be here next week! I have been evaluating machines for a while, waiting for my 9 year old GCC to fail (it hasn't...). You really can't go wrong with any of the brand name machines and it all comes down to what features you see that you need the most. The Trotec has everything I need and more, and I got a SMOKING deal thanks to Neville! The large bed, 39" x 24" x 12", pass through, vacuum bed, included air assist, and a whole host of design features, made it a fairly easy decision, as easy as it can be to spend between $30K and $40K that is...
    That's fantastic Gary! Congrats on the new Trotec 400, you'll love it!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sleeman View Post
    Well.. it's done, I'm a new owner of a Speedy 400 80 watt.. Lol. Epilog was great to deal with in Vancouver, but James from Trotec was to. So I guess, I will see down the road. So James & the Trotec family,do not let me down... Lol
    Congrats Ron!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Congradulations Ron, you will not be unhappy with it trust me. Usual offer of help etc still applies. Let me know when you get it.

Bob
    Gwieke 1290-100W,
    Trotec Speedy 400 - 80W
    Corel Draw X4

Thanks Bob...I have your phone # on speed dial....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    I wouldn't expect Trotec tubes to last any longer than any other tube. The Trotec unit I demo'd was only a few years old and had a leaky tube. Being completely objective, around the same time I demo'd a Universal unit and it also had a leaky tube.
    Ross,

If the Trotec machine you demo'd was older than about three years it probably did not have the new ceramic tube. Take the time to investigate the new Trotec tubes, you might be surprised at the difference. There is a video on Trotec's web site about the new ceramic tubes but I couldn't find the link this morning.

100% ceramic CO2 laser source
    Electrodes on the outside of the tube
    No welded joints
    reduced outgassing
    Fired at 800
    oC, eliminating impurities inside of tube
    Longer lifespan than other laser source at > 6 years

Keith,

Here is a link to Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt35m4pxdfA
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Take the time to investigate the new Trotec tubes, you might be surprised at the difference.
    That was one of the bigger decision points for me. I think I am very lucky that my 9 year old GCC is still plugging along with no change in power (no change in settings anyway), and I hoped to get similar results from anything new. The ceramic source has many benefits that should help ensure a very long lifespan. I don't want to think about the cost to replace it, but, hopefully, when that time comes it will be "old technology" and a lot less expensive than it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    That was one of the bigger decision points for me. I think I am very lucky that my 9 year old GCC is still plugging along with no change in power (no change in settings anyway), and I hoped to get similar results from anything new. The ceramic source has many benefits that should help ensure a very long lifespan. I don't want to think about the cost to replace it, but, hopefully, when that time comes it will be "old technology" and a lot less expensive than it is right now.
    The price to "replace" a Trotec tube isn't bad. I believe it was about $12-1500 for the 80W. It was inline with Universal. It's a swap program.

There may be many benefits to the ceramic tube but I wouldn't bet on longer life. The machine I demo'd was only a few years old with the ceramic tube and it didn't have that many hours on it according to the operator. It was a 100-120w unit that wasn't heavily used. The machine appeared to put out the suggested power rating but when doing "metal" plastic, it showed leaking. Regardless of manufacturer, 50w+ tubes don't seem to last as long as the 25-40W units. I'd expect the typical 3-5 years out of the 50w+ units and 5-10 years out of a 25-40w unit.

I have no doubts that the ceramic tube helps allow the Trotec run faster but I just wouldn't bet on longer life. If you do get longer life, I'd be more inclined to contribute it to the design of the machine (fan location, cleaner environment, better electronics, ect).
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    The machine appeared to put out the suggested power rating but when doing "metal" plastic, it showed leaking. Regardless of manufacturer, 50w+ tubes don't seem to last as long as the 25-40W units. I'd expect the typical 3-5 years out of the 50w+ units and 5-10 years out of a 25-40w unit.

I have no doubts that the ceramic tube helps allow the Trotec run faster but I just wouldn't bet on longer life. If you do get longer life, I'd be more inclined to contribute it to the design of the machine (fan location, cleaner environment, better electronics, ect).
    Care to enlighten us on what indicates a "leaking tube" as shown on "metal" plastic?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.