Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Epilog vs Trotec

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    no excuse for not getting back and putting you in touch with someone that can help just poor business policies
    Bad business practices is putting your sales reps in a position where they can't manage doing demos/sales calls and returning calls/emails. Bad business is sending out sales reps that can't give you a proper demo.

It's part of the life of a sales rep to sometimes miss an email or phone call. Some may even go as far to say it's filtering out people that aren't serious buyers.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Not sure why I'd ever want to work with a company where the guy in charge of the whole territory can't reply over weeks (and several emails from me). I'm not even asking for a quick reply, just a reply. Leaves a pretty bad taste in your mouth. Still I'll pick up a phone and see what they're saying.

I was in your boat not too long ago. I was very excited to find out more about Trotec and had an impossible time getting a rep to contact me. I won't go into details as it might get someone in trouble, but I found a fantastic rep and ended up getting an amazing deal on my machine. I can tell you this - you will be happy with the machine! Some say the rep isn't as important as the company/machine, but I have interacted with mine a few times and can tell you that he knows his product! Contact the company directly and tell them you are buying a machine and want it to be theirs but the area rep isn't making that happen and if they can't then you'll buy another brand. I'm pretty sure they will find someone who will talk with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Weil View Post
    I actually decided to go Trotec almost entirely because of this thread (and 2 others). I can't even get the rep to reply to my emails. Starting to look a lot like it's going to be Epilog for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Weil View Post
    Not sure why I'd ever want to work with a company where the guy in charge of the whole territory can't reply over weeks (and several emails from me). I'm not even asking for a quick reply, just a reply. Leaves a pretty bad taste in your mouth. Still I'll pick up a phone and see what they're saying.
    Because the machine fits your needs and will make you the most money?

If machine A is capable of producing 100 sq. ft. per hour at $10 per sq. ft. retail price and machine B is capable of producing 60 sq. ft. per hour at $10 per sq. ft retail price. Why would you buy machine B to put in your business just because someone didn't return your call? I've had numerous times where a sales rep wouldn't return my call. That didn't stop me from buying the machine I wanted. It just stopped me from buying it from that sales rep. If I followed the other logic path, I'd be giving up a LOT of money and productivity, all because some commission based sales rep didn't call me back?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Bad business practices is putting your sales reps in a position where they can't manage doing demos/sales calls and returning calls/emails. Bad business is sending out sales reps that can't give you a proper demo.

It's part of the life of a sales rep to sometimes miss an email or phone call. Some may even go as far to say it's filtering out people that aren't serious buyers.

My emails don't just disappear you can always reply when you get a chance not just ignore them. That is what I am calling bad business. If he is giving that many demos where he can't answer then he should pass it along.

FWIW, there are extremely busy sales reps who still answer emails and/or phone calls in a very timely manner and, frankly, you should expect it. There are sales reps/distributors who actually will be there for you throughout the lifespan of your laser & beyond and their customer service should figure into your decision.

[Totally biased comment from a busy sales rep/distributor office.]
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post

If machine A is capable of producing 100 sq. ft. per hour at $10 per sq. ft. retail price and machine B is capable of producing 60 sq. ft. per hour at $10 per sq. ft retail price. Why would you buy machine B to put in your business just because someone didn't return your call? I've had numerous times where a sales rep wouldn't return my call. That didn't stop me from buying the machine I wanted. It just stopped me from buying it from that sales rep. If I followed the other logic path, I'd be giving up a LOT of money and productivity, all because some commission based sales rep didn't call me back?
    It will only work for you if you can buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    It will only work for you if you can buy it
    You can buy it, but I wouldn't discount a machine because some slacker sales rep who's riding his time until his next sales jig presents itself to him and he/she leaves for another entire industry. I see most of them for what they are, in a position that turns over fairly often. We've bought 4 lasers now and only 1 of the 4 sales people are still there.

I have zero issues bypassing a sales rep and going to the manufacturer and working down the chain, rather than trying to work up the chain from some slacker who's in Bass Pro Shop during the day when he's supposed to be trying to help customers. We don't buy on the sales rep, we buy on the equipment and our needs. It's really not that difficult. However, if I sat by the phone waiting for it to ring with a call back, we'd be in an empty building.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

The rep for Trotec, from Vancouver, called me up & said he will be in my area. Which is 6 hour from my house & brought with him a demo machine to show me. He set it up in my shop & went over everything with me, I do have a Epilog so I new what to look for. Now that was service. Then 2 weeks later I went to the office in Langley & Travis there tec, went through with me some other part off the machine with me. That is what sold me on them, plus the way the speedy 400 ran..whow. I beleave service & machine go in hand & hand. So if your rep does not work for you, your going to have a hard time with service. Plus the price was great.

Remember, this only my views......lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post

If machine A is capable of producing 100 sq. ft. per hour at $10 per sq. ft. retail price and machine B is capable of producing 60 sq. ft. per hour at $10 per sq. ft retail price. Why would you buy machine B to put in your business just because someone didn't return your call? I've had numerous times where a sales rep wouldn't return my call. That didn't stop me from buying the machine I wanted.
    I could say something about another machine brand here, but....

(all in good fun)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I could say something about another machine brand here, but....

(all in good fun)
    Yeah, but that's a mythical machine Kev, you know no one's ever seen one in person LOL

I did say the one that fits your business, that one doesn't fit our business

You guys have to know that we have a Trotec Representative (Meredith Newman) from the corporate office right here at The Creek, in fact she's the national sales manager. It couldn't be easier to contact Trotec and get a very quick response, you can send her an email or a Private Message. If you send me a PM and ask I can provide her phone number AND remind you to ask her about the SawMIll Creek Discount.

Use the force Luke

I'm with Steve on this. Don't let an overly busy sales rep dissuade you from Trotec. I'm told it's been a very busy year over there but they are expanding the sales force every week, even adding techs in house for some regions beyond the main us office, giving you two ways to get support after the sale. Another idea is to visit a show near you, plenty of sales reps at those shows. The head of sales and president of the company were even at the last one I attended. A great way to meet multiple people from the company, and see all the machines in person.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I just went through the same process Epilog/Trotec. Ended up going with Trotec Speedy 360 80 watt. Have not received my machine as of yet.
    Trotec Speedy 360 80 watt laser
    Custom CNC router 4' x 5'
    GrapthTec FC7000-75 vinyl cutter
    Keiling KL6090S CNC router
    Ricoh SG3100DN sublimation printer

I have a thread on my experience, I was going to go Epilog but also ended up with a Speedy 300 80 Watt, and tell you what, I am still pleased in my decision
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7