Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Epilog vs Trotec

Epilog vs Trotec

Okay boys & girls, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Epilog fusion 40 75watt or a Trotec speedy 400 80 watt. I have read about each of them on the forum. I guess what I'm looking at is the pro & cons on both of them from your point of view...lol I fine that they are both great machines. I will be using them for glass & wood products ,plus we will be using the pull through doors alot. I have a 24 mini 40 watt.

Thanks Ron Sleeman

I just did this in May/June and watched both machines put through their paces. Spent a lot of time talking to both companies too. My evaluation is they are soooo much alike (both machine & software), that in my case I went with what I already knew & that is Epilog (lower learning curve). A few pros and cons both ways. Neither is a bad choice. If you have the coin Trotec is very well built. However, Epilog Support has been fantastic and they have built on their solid Mini/Helix design with many improvements for the Fusion.

Some will disagree with my assessment & maybe I didn't help your decision, but if I had bought the Trotec, I wouldn't be any happier than I am with my new Epilog. Again, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Fusion (M2) Improvements from Mini/Helix (off the top of my head):
    Screw based table focus – very smooth.
    No more focus plunger!
    Fans moved to lower back – makes the machine very quiet.
    Filter added to fans – although it could be made easier to replace (hint, hint Epilog).
    Job Run Time computed BEFORE you hit Go.
    Job Manager software very useful.
    Multi safeguards to prevent head crashes - Note: Awaiting a firmware fix for one rare scenario we found that still causes a crash.
    Not very useful to me, but you can now cut freehand using the machine's joy stick.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 07-30-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

It's no contest. Buy the Trotec. Fast, reliable, ready to work when you are. Built like a tank. Best software on the market. Excellent tech support.

Mine is 9 years old and I've had 5 days of downtime to rebuild a tube.

Epilog should be a lot cheaper--just read through the posts for the last couple of weeks.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    It's no contest. Buy the Trotec...Mine is 9 years old and I've had 5 days of downtime to rebuild a tube...
    Epilog Mini - 8 years old with 16 hours (overnight) of down time - Troubleshoot & replace the MB. hey Mike Just poking at you.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim, I went to Vancouver last week to watch both machines. I liked them both. There was not much different in price.. Lol. I don't know if Epilog was high or Trotec was gave me a smoken deal...lol. I know, no one likes to talk about cost... Lol, or should I say what is the average price for each machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sleeman View Post
    Tim, I went to Vancouver last week to watch both machines. I liked them both. There was not much different in price.. Lol. I don't know if Epilog was high or Trotec was gave me a smoken deal...lol. I know, no one likes to talk about cost... Lol, or should I say what is the average price for each machine.
    To some degree you are correct. However be sure to verify what "comes with" each. If you still see the same price, you are getting a massive bargain basement price on the Trotec. I paid far less for my M2 AND got a chuck rotory, and Vector table, and Camera system, and blower that wasn't included in the higher Trotec price.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 07-30-2015 at 10:51 AM.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

It's no contest.
    I beg to differ.
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

Ron, you know my feelings on this after our chat..

Bottom line one is if they are that similar in price & by all accounts quality....I am going to say go with the better support in BC/Alberta... And that right now is Trotec.

Good luck, what ever way you go. Bob
    Gwieke 1290-100W,
    Trotec Speedy 400 - 80W
    Corel Draw X4

This may surprise a few people here but I just bought a Trotec Speedy 400 80 watt machine - it should be here next week! I have been evaluating machines for a while, waiting for my 9 year old GCC to fail (it hasn't...). You really can't go wrong with any of the brand name machines and it all comes down to what features you see that you need the most. The Trotec has everything I need and more, and I got a SMOKING deal thanks to Neville! The large bed, 39" x 24" x 12", pass through, vacuum bed, included air assist, and a whole host of design features, made it a fairly easy decision, as easy as it can be to spend between $30K and $40K that is...

Gary

I am not surprised, I am flabbergasted. Congratulations! I think you're going to love it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

The machine should fit your needs. Give equal specs to both and than buy the cheaper one, you will be choosing a top quality machine for the best price. Our 35watt 8000 model epilog tube lasted 10 years with 20% of the working day at full power. On our 45 watt 8000 epilog model the tube lasted 8 years running at 100% power 45% of the working day. maybe luck maybe not? After reading and learning from all the post over the years unless i had a specific need, price would be the determining factor.

Bob, it was great talking to you about Trotec. Plus the other members on here. That is way,when people talk about this site. It is always positive. But dam, what a discussion I have today.. Lol

If the prices are close then I would definitely go with Tortec. When I was buying, the Trotec was almost 50% more for a similar machine from Epilog and I still wanted to get a Trotec but went with Epilog to save some $$
    Epilog Legend 24TT

Gary

I am not surprised, I am flabbergasted. Congratulations! I think you're going to love it.
    You are the one I figured would be the most surprised, didn't expect flabbergasted! I can't wait until it gets here, more excited than a kid at Christmas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    You are the one I figured would be the most surprised, didn't expect flabbergasted! I can't wait until it gets here, more excited than a kid at Christmas!!!
    Congratulations Gary, put me on the list with Mike. The last machine I ever thought you'd buy was a Trotec. Enjoy it when you get it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.