Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Epilog vs Trotec

Keith W.

My Trotec has a Coherent 45w tube--no tickle setting. Other models do have the tickle setting.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-01-2015 at 8:39 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

My mistake Mike, I thought you were talking about the ceramic. Apologies for the confusion.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    I cannot speak about Trotec's customer service, but Epilog's is really great. I purchased a pre-owned laser, and I thought that I might get some less than stellar customer service because I didn't go with a brand new machine. Nope, they were great and very accommodating as we had some initial issues finding the original registered owner's information so that we could transfer it into my name. So far, so good with Epilog.
    I 2nd this. Epilog could now be the best built machines on the market with 2nd to non Customer Support.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I 2nd this. Epilog could now be the best built machines on the market with 2nd to non Customer Support.
    Back up your comments Tim. Tell me where, in any part of it, the Epilog is better built. Back it up with facts. It's perfectly acceptable to have your preferences, but preferences aren't facts. Tell me one thing in the build quality that is superior to the Trotec build. I think Epilog makes a good laser and I think they are a decent company. However, that doesn't change the facts. So tell us some facts on what's better and back it up.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

C'mon Steve, he DID say "could be"...

And I'll stop now before I hijack this thread with the red-headed stepchild of laser engravers...

(oops)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    C'mon Steve, he DID say "could be"...

And I'll stop now before I hijack this thread with the red-headed stepchild of laser engravers...

(oops)
    No worries, if they are producing superior quality machines to anyone on the market, then enlighten us what is better so we can all consider then when we purchase our next laser(s). I'm familiar with the Fusion. I've worked on one briefly, trying to solve some issues, seen them apart a number of times now, looked closely at them at several trade shows now. I have yet to see one single thing that is superior in the build quality. Now, it might be superior in the build quality compared to a Helix, Mini, or Legend, but it's by no means better built than the Trotec. I'm also aware of their motor, motherboard, and X-Axis rail problems. If you're replacing entire X-Axis rail systems, you have an issue. If you're telling people to slow their machines down to 80% speed to keep from breaking them, there's an issue.

If their machine is fully tested and ready to go, then they wouldn't have to send two techs out to make the camera work, and then crash your machine while doing it. If that's what "Superior Customer Service" looks like, I think I'll take a pass on it.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Didn't mean to get folks fired up...

After studying both of these newer machines (Fusion M2/Trotec Flexx) for a couple months, and getting heavy sales pressure, and detailed demos from both... Both machines did meet my expectations. Because for years now it has been assumed that Trotec was better built and HAD the Flexx been priced better I would likely have bought it The ONLY thing the Flexx had over Epilog was a slightly larger bed, however for $9k more and none of the extras I got with the M2, it was an easy decision. Unless someone uses both side my side on a daily bases, for an extended period of time, we may never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    ...Now, it might be superior in the build quality compared to a Helix, Mini, or Legend.....
    I agree 100% with that statement. Now considering your statement and what my Mini has been through (most here have heard the horror story of it's delivery) and the fact that it's been a production beast - only failing when I failed it - The new Fusion M2 has got to be one of the best machines on the market - my opinion, but will soon be backed up as others use it. This version of the Fusion has only been on the market since March, so too early to say for sure, but looking good.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 08-01-2015 at 1:35 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I'm pretty happy with my Fusion 40. It's only been a month but it's brilliant, no issues no glitches
    yeah the softwares a bit funny but very good and i do still love my Helix too
    even though i did have a couple of tube issues, but yes Epilog sorted those out smartly even from
    half way round the world.
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

I actually decided to go Trotec almost entirely because of this thread (and 2 others). I can't even get the rep to reply to my emails. Starting to look a lot like it's going to be Epilog for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Weil View Post
    I actually decided to go Trotec almost entirely because of this thread (and 2 others). I can't even get the rep to reply to my emails. Starting to look a lot like it's going to be Epilog for me.
    Emails for sales reps are often not the best way to communicate. They are on the road a lot and can't exactly respond while driving. If you want to talk to a sales rep, you're best off calling them. If they don't respond, call up the main office and tell them you've tried to call and can't get anywhere. Tell them you want to speak directly with someone in the office or have the sales rep call you ASAP. Trotec doesn't want to hear they are losing out on sales because of a lazy rep. They will step in and try to fix the problem.

Sometimes you have to be pushy to get what you want. More often than not you don't talk to your sales rep much after buying your machine. If you have a tech question you call the 1800 number. Their job is only to sell the machines. A good sales rep will offer more, but they are few and far between in this industry. Even guys with years of experience are often not that knowledgeable on the technical side of things.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Sometimes you have to be pushy to get what you want. More often than not you don't talk to your sales rep much after buying your machine. If you have a tech question you call the 1800 number. Their job is only to sell the machines. A good sales rep will offer more, but they are few and far between in this industry. Even guys with years of experience are often not that knowledgeable on the technical side of things.
    That's my view as well. We've talked about it many times. I pick the machine that's best for our needs. I couldn't care less who's between me and that machine. My job is to put the machine on our floor. I wouldn't take a #2 or #3 choice in my selection because a sales rep didn't call me back. That could mean a lot of lost revenue over the life of the machine. Why would I let a sales rep screw up my bottom line? (hint: I wouldn't)

We're in the market for a piece of equipment now. We've narrowed it down to 2 manufacturers, both global companies. I called the USA number to ask a couple of questions I had before going to a demo so I'd be more informed when I saw the demo. The person was very nice, told me she'd contact the area rep and get him to call me back. I explained I needed him to call me back that day or the next day because I was comparing machines the following day. She said she'd make sure he got that message. That was 3 weeks ago. Still haven't heard from him or anyone in his company. Did it change my opinion of the machine to buy? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Emails for sales reps are often not the best way to communicate. They are on the road a lot and can't exactly respond while driving. If you want to talk to a sales rep, you're best off calling them. If they don't respond, call up the main office and tell them you've tried to call and can't get anywhere. Tell them you want to speak directly with someone in the office or have the sales rep call you ASAP. Trotec doesn't want to hear they are losing out on sales because of a lazy rep. They will step in and try to fix the problem.

no excuse for not getting back and putting you in touch with someone that can help just poor business policies

Old sales rep talk--"a bird in hand is worth two in the bush". If the rep, who is certainly traveling, is closing a deal or making a demo in anticipation of closing the deal then communication becomes a simple matter of pecking order. I agree that a phone call carries more urgency than an email.

The reps are busy for a reason--Trotec is the hot machine on the market!

Don't give up on the Trotec machine it'll be worth your while.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    That's my view as well. We've talked about it many times. I pick the machine that's best for our needs. I couldn't care less who's between me and that machine. My job is to put the machine on our floor. I wouldn't take a #2 or #3 choice in my selection because a sales rep didn't call me back. That could mean a lot of lost revenue over the life of the machine. Why would I let a sales rep screw up my bottom line? (hint: I wouldn't)

We're in the market for a piece of equipment now. We've narrowed it down to 2 manufacturers, both global companies. I called the USA number to ask a couple of questions I had before going to a demo so I'd be more informed when I saw the demo. The person was very nice, told me she'd contact the area rep and get him to call me back. I explained I needed him to call me back that day or the next day because I was comparing machines the following day. She said she'd make sure he got that message. That was 3 weeks ago. Still haven't heard from him or anyone in his company. Did it change my opinion of the machine to buy? Nope.
    Great advice.