Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Output Problem on Chinese Laser, power spike possible prob?

Output Problem on Chinese Laser, power spike possible prob?

OH RATS!!! I have a 50 watt ChineseLaser, it's about a year old or so, I replaced the power supply about6 months ago... But now it seems to be operating at about 50% poweror less. If I slow it down, doesn't help all that much, can't do alot of my work. It doesn't really have all that many hours on it...But I've been reading over posts here to see if I could get aclue........ Mirrors and lens clean...... BUT..... A few weeks ago,about the time of the power reduction, we lost ground at our powertransformer on the telephone pole outside our house.MAJOR power Spike...Blew up all myflorescent ballasts and fried all my multi strips.... my laser was onat the time. I started it up, it worked...I was happy, but didn'treally put it to the ultimate test....It did the simple designs, Ifigured it was OK. But I read in a post here that a power spike canfry resistors or capacitors........ is there a specific place Ishould look. Would it be in the power supply, or somewhere else. What is the most likely problem....The tube was doing fine all along,it's kept nice and cool etc. Any suggestions where I should look. Ihave very limited funds so can't get a tech out here///// Please help

If you lost the neutral or grounded conductor you might have put 230 volts on everything.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Has the problem just started, or did it start when you put in the new power supply?
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

YEP........................... Still works @ about 50% power, need to figure out what most likely fried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    If you lost the neutral or grounded conductor you might have put 230 volts on everything.

Worked fine for months, but I'm thinking the power surge a few weeks ago is when it degraded, I just haven't needed the power until yesterday, doing Lighter work. So I'm wondering where to look for that power drop off, if it could be power supply or somewhere else. Saw a reply here to something else where RF Module was suggested for 50% loss, I don't have a clue if my machine even has one of those.

Chinese laser no RF. One thought, since your tube power supply might be auto switching is that it went to the 230 volt mode. IF it has a selector switch? You might try flipping the it back and forth. I would think your power company would be paying for damages, maybe.

UPDATE: OK, it doesn't matter what power it's set on, still cuts at what would be around 30 power, same result set through software as on panel..... Seems like a pot problem, but don't even know if these have them. So I'm not thinking it's a tube prob, because I think I'd still see some difference between setting..... Wondering where the difference in outputs is controlled from....whatever defines that seems fried.

I'll try that...my old power supply had a switch, but only one side was actuaully connected to anything internally, don't recall if this new one has a switch...will check and try...Thanks. I'll also talk to the power company.

Depending on the model there are 1,2 or 3 shunts (voltage stabilisers) in DC supplies for lasers...if you have killed one of those I'm afraid it's new PSU time. A 40 watt PSU (works across 40-50-60 usually with slight adjustment) can be had for about $100ish on Ebay from many of the Chinese sellers.

Voltage spikes will do it for sure as the internal fuse on Chinese supplies doesn't protect the electronics against high voltage (they are usually whatever fuse was to hand when the supply was built)
    You did what !

OK, thank you....Is that something I could tell by visual inspection. We are ....not rich folks here, and I'd like to be able to see the problem before I replace it...if at all possible. What would the shunts look like..I have my old power supply here, I wonder if parts are interchangeable?
    Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Depending on the model there are 1,2 or 3 shunts (voltage stabilisers) in DC supplies for lasers...if you have killed one of those I'm afraid it's new PSU time. A 40 watt PSU (works across 40-50-60 usually with slight adjustment) can be had for about $100ish on Ebay from many of the Chinese sellers.

Voltage spikes will do it for sure as the internal fuse on Chinese supplies doesn't protect the electronics against high voltage (they are usually whatever fuse was to hand when the supply was built)

OH, I just noticed my power supply in the unit is the same as the original one, so parts may be interchangeable.

Take a picture and / or make a diagram of the connections. Disconnect from power, pull it out and remove the cover. You have nothing to lose its not working now. My guess a good visual inspection and maybe you will find the problem.

CRAPADOODLE....OK, I put in a new Power supply, no difference..it got so it would leave out whole sections of what I was etching...on 10 speed and 89 power....barely burned. Acting exactly as it did with the old power supply, so figured that wasn't it. SO, I maxed out my credit cards and got a new Tube, put it in..... It does a solid design now, but when it's on 89 power it's more like 5-10 power, just barely burns...... Now, with orders stacking up and my funds...... gone.....I'm really in need of some help. I reloaded the software in case it wasn't getting the message of the power...set the power from the unit instead of the PC, still barely burns.....Lenses and mirrors seem clean.... And wondering why before I replaced the tube, it was leaving out huge areas of the design and not even firing.

Blog Entries
    Jeffrey,

I cant help you diagnose this. Dave Sheldrake and others will be much better at that. But I wanted to suggest that when all is corrected and you have some $$ to spare that you put a voltage regulator on the power to the laser. I might also consider a whole house surge suppressor. But consider that while those will clamp down on power surges coming from outside the house like you just encountered, they do not protect you against a surge that originates from within your house circuits. If you could only do one I would suggest the voltage regulator. Fingers are crossed for a quick diagnose and an inexpensive fix for you!!!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Thanks Dave, that sounds like a good plan