Thread: Shop Made Tools

Shop Made Tools

I've made a few tools for my shop over the years, but always had the idea that "someday" I'd make a tool box and fill it with tools that I made. This project was the reverse. Over the past 6-8 months I made abunch of tools and them made a Dutch Tool Chest to hold them. I'll be entering this in the CO State Fair and put together the attached index to help the judge understand what he was looking at.

My thanks to all of you who have provided insipration for many of these tools. I mostly worked of pictures posted here and there on the internet.

Comments, corrections, suggestions, and amusing anecdotes always appreciated.

Tools to Numbers_Page_1.jpgTools to Numbers_Page_2.jpgTools to Numbers_Page_3.jpg

Very nice.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

That's great stuff, Dan! Good luck at the Fair!

TedP

The judges have spoken. A blue ribbon and Judge's Choice. Time to start thinking about next year's entry.

Dan H

Blog Entries
    Impressive! More info on that bit brace, please!

Very nice project and congrats on the awards

The brace is made from some 6/4 Cherry I had laying around the shop. Basically 3 pieces mortice and tenoned together. After some rough shaping with a band saw, I spent quite a bit of time shaping the brace with nearly every shaping tool in my arsenal. Chisels, Spoke Shaves, rasps, scrapers, and 80 grit paper. I turned the knob and the there is a buttoned shaft out of Maple in a counter bored hole glued to the knob that allows the knob to turn. My metal skills are weak at best, so I bored a pilot hole for holding the bit, then heated a sacrificial bit's tapered end to red hot and pushed it into the pilot hole. This shaped the hole nicely to friction hold tapered shank bits. I'm thinking of adding a thumb screw through the side to help hold the bit once I get the project back form the fair.

Please don't ask about dimensions, the whole thing was done by eye and hand. I find my work has improved in quality by putting away my rulers and tape measures.

Beautiful work. I can certainly agree with the judges. A ribbon well earned.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.