Thread: PIP: End table in White Oak

PIP: End table in White Oak

Raised panels in a Frame&Panel case. The Boss wanted an Enclosed End Table to "hide" all of her books and such...
    .EndTable.jpg
    And she wanted a door out front. Door also has a raised panel. Right now? I am trying to talk her out of PAINTING this beast. Back saide matches the other sides
    floor boards.jpg
    And a floor of 1/2" oak planks.
    Hoping she doen't get a can of paint.....twould be a crime...

Moved this beast upstairs, and into the room where it will call home
    corner view.jpg
    Got the door to fit. Slippers are the Boss'
    inside of door.jpg
    While she has almost covered the top, she hasn't started to fill the insides...yet
    side view.jpg
    A look at the other side, with the "matched" knots in the raised panels
    IMAG0210.jpg
    You can try to find the plugs covering the screws...doubt if you will find any of the 8 in this picture. Match the grain in the plug to it's new home. Pared flush, and sanded smooth...dried glued is a bear to remove from my hand planes...

Not a bad week's work...

I hope you can avoid the paint job. That would indeed be a crime.

She picked out a flavour called Willow. Not quite a paint, more of a stain.

Funny part about this project? The Boss gave me the overall sizes she wanted. I think I MIGHT have wrote them down..somewhere. I scribbled a few measurements on a scrap of paper...

All the "Plan" was done in my head. No other plans were used. It is what I call a Single brain Cell Sketch-up. I doubt IF I could even draw a plan up for this project. But, once I started to cut a few boards, things just tookoff. Tried some "new" things along the way. seems to have worked out?

Right now, I am between projects. SBCSketch-up is off-line. Hoping it kicks in again, sometime, getting bored again....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Funny part about this project? The Boss gave me the overall sizes she wanted. I think I MIGHT have wrote them down..somewhere. I scribbled a few measurements on a scrap of paper...
    So do you plan to re-do it the size she wanted then or will she accept it as it is ?

One slick move if you do put a stain or color on it is to put liming wax on top.
    http://www.briwax-trg.com/products/b...gwaxhints.html

She already has all her stuff loaded on it, and it is sitting beside HER chair......I guess it is suitable..

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Schmitz View Post
    One slick move if you do put a stain or color on it is to put liming wax on top.
    http://www.briwax-trg.com/products/b...gwaxhints.html
    Thanks for pointing out this product, Jamie. I didn't know of it.

I like its old time look. In real early time it might have held a chamber pot. But books are good if you have "indoor plumbing" !

I think it looks great. I think it would look nice with just a few coats of shellac.