Thread: Noobie's First Pieces

Wink Noobie's First Pieces

So here are my first three pieces. Two white oak bowls turned green from wood from a friends firewood pile, and a mahogany baby rattle from dry store-bought wood. All three are finished in walnut oil and bees wax. I made my own homemade paste wax by heating the walnut oil and melting the beeswax into it.

The green bowls my wife encouraged me to finish turn green after watching too many Robohippy videos with me. She loves the warped bowl look. The rattle has popcorn in it to make it rattle and is a gift for a co-worker.

There are mistakes made in all three, but three useable objects off the lathe in the first couple of weeks I feel is a good sign that I'm heading in the right direction. So much more to learn!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

Your off to a good start with functional items. Looking good. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Looking good, Allan.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Nice start Allan. That baby rattle will make someone happy.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Looking really good and classy too.

Awesome. I love white oak turnings.

You did good!! My wife likes the warped bowls as well. Makes it easy for me.

Very nice. You're off to a good start.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Very nice on all pieces.

Red
    RED

Very well done, I like white oak, turns much easier green.

Very nice for your first pieces. I share your wife's love of Robo's bowls and have made a few myself. I seem to like them better than my customers though.
    A word of caution, baby rattles can be dangerous to the child if all parts are not sized appropriately. Check out the web for dimensions, weights etc. I'm sure the last thing you would want is to give a gift that is potentially dangerous. Check out this site http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Business--Man...dance/Rattles/
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Thanks for the link. My large end definitely passes the test. I'm unsure about the other end. I'll have to print out that template and check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Very nice for your first pieces. I share your wife's love of Robo's bowls and have made a few myself. I seem to like them better than my customers though.
    A word of caution, baby rattles can be dangerous to the child if all parts are not sized appropriately. Check out the web for dimensions, weights etc. I'm sure the last thing you would want is to give a gift that is potentially dangerous. Check out this site http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Business--Man...dance/Rattles/
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

Nice work! Looks like you're on the right track. I also melt beeswax from my father-in-law's hives into walnut oil. In the past I used some oil I found on Amazon, but this last batch I used Mahoney's. The other lasted a long time, but eventually soured. Mahoney's isn't supposed to. Ask me about it next year and I'll let you know the shelf life compared to normal walnut oil