Thread: Japanese Chisel I.D Help

Japanese Chisel I.D Help

Hey there everyone. So I stopped by a local antique shop today that I’ve been to a few times. Once in a while the guy will have a few decent things floating around. He doesn’t know to much about hand tools so I do most of the talking and explain what he has and tell him correct prices. However today he pulled a large canvas chisel roll from behind his counter and asked if I knew anything about japanese chisels. Not to much.. just that some can be very expensive. So we looked at them and I decided that they seemed pretty nice and not used very much. So I need help with the I.D of these things. Here’s some pictures. The darker handle is a gouge and I think there was 5-6 of each chisel and gouge. The sticker on the gouge reads “BEST” “MIKI INAOKA” The only thing on the chisels is No. 2000. Thanks to all that can help.

Blog Entries
    Anyone ID'ing would likely need a good photo of the maker's stamp.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Yea I knew when I got home that I got really crappy pictures. He offered them to me for $10 a piece which I know is a killer deal and plan to pick up anyway. I was just trying to figure out the original price. I will have to get better pictures next time I go down there.

Blog Entries
    Maker aside you may want to look for a forge line between the hard steel and the soft iron. It's a good indicator if the edges turn upward at the sides of the chisel;

Like this;

There is one maker of exception to this, which is very good, but I dont believe the chisels you have are made by him.

Might be worth a gamble just to see how they perform once they're revived. You'll need to address the missing hoops as well.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I think these are chisels branded "Yoshitora Iroyoi" (善虎). I would guess the yellow handled chisels are boxwood or gumi. If you look on the end grain, you will see the handle is actually a small branch. I have a few of these chisels that I purchased from Japan Woodworker, in the 80's. The chisels are very beefy, and were sold to me as "mortise chisels". They are probably "tataki", striking chisels. I probably paid in the neighborhood of $20-30 back then. You may be able to get replacement hoops for the chisels on eBay or from Hida Tools.

Thank you very much David! After a little research and pictures that does seem right. Couldn't find a price anywhere, but I'm going to pick up at least a few. Maybe a gouge or two also. Never used one or needed one but might be good to have. Thanks guys!

7. I hope Tyler is o.k that i highjack his thread ( maybe we make a sticky one for japanese chisels I.D?) Anyone know the maker / Blacksmith of this chisel?
    em3qjnktw8rhg.jpg

It reads "Kongo Maru" (金剛丸). They were made by a blacksmith in Yoita, Niigata Prefecture named Usui. He belongs to a famous line of blacksmiths. He goes by the handle of Sukemaru.

I believe your chisels are high-speed steel, something he specializes in. Unlike his father, who was a very traditional craftsman, the current Sukemaru has a degree in CNC manufacturing and uses a lot of equipment. Nowadays he is a one-man shop. I have never used his high-speed steel chisels, but spent a day in his shop when he was doing a run of them. Having seen his methods and QC procedures, I am confident they are a fine product. BTW, while he shapes much of his product by machine, he still heat treats and tempers by hand. His products are not mass produced like many of the makers do in Miki, but he does small runs with his CNC machines doing the grunt work.

I do own and use his tataki nomi forged from white paper steel. They are excellent quality, and although a bit more pricey than others, worth every penny.

Here is a link to a website that sells his products. http://www.tonotv.com/members/mikataya/kongou.html

Stan

9. Thanks you so much Stanley for the information. Exceptional your help! I am very new in the japanese chisel market and way of furniture making but amazed. I just bought this one for 3400 yen so i hope it was a good deal. I needed a 42mm chisel for working hard wood.
    sia7qd3flxhzn.jpgbluyae48pdtgx.jpg

Looking at the new pictures, the tool is clearly not high-speed steel. Therefore, it was probably made by the 2nd Sukemaru (the current Sukemaru's dad). It looks like a good chisel, if an unusual style.

Stan