Thread: 3-m finesse-it

3-m finesse-it

I hope someone can help me. I have spoken with 3-M and they do not know much about finishing wood.
    I want to use the3-M Finesse-it products. There are a lot of them.
    I want to remove the sanding scratches for a smooth finish.
    To what grit do I sand my waterlox finish? What Finesse-it products do I use. I assume I will use 2 or 3 of them. This is all new to me and very exciting. Looking forward to trying all this out on my new live-edge dinning table.
    Thank you for sharing your time and knowledge
    Jeffrey
    Last edited by Jeffrey Cole; 07-31-2015 at 4:45 PM.
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right

First -- enter "polishing compound" or "rubbing compound" in the search box at top right. Lotta archived info on this very topic - will provide info on your question, and related questions you have not yet thought of.

Next - - It is messy to run a polisher with these materials............I had a very nice Makita 7", and used this approach once when refinishing a very large conference table [in its natural habitat]. Worked fine, but had to drape all around the table. Sold it here because it simply did not fit well with what I do - works great, but within its envelope.

Last - you might be better using a different approach. Same search box: abralon
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent, thank you, I do forget to use search, my bad.
    Jeffrey
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right

Jeffery, what ever surface that you are attempting to polish with any automotive polish (3M, Meguairs, Menzerna) will require either a closed grain wood, like Cherry or Maple, or a ring porous wood like Walnut, Oak or Mahogany to be pore filled. If the wood pores are not filled, you will find the broken down polish will pack into the pores of the wood and show up as white..

Robert is correct - -true for any method of rubbing out.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.