Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corel and Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    The folks over on the ThinkPad Lenovo forum are doing the upgrade to Win 10 even on the older machines like the T43. I tend to wait for the SP1 or 2 but very happy with 7 on my W500 and T520 Lenovo. I can not believe MS is going to let people skate for free. I am sure there will be mandatory pay for upgrades in the future. No big corporation is going to give a new OS away for free.
    It's not free now as a fresh install nor as an upgrade from XP or Vista. Free is only for upgrades from Windows 7 and 8.x. One reason I've seen is that Microsoft doesn't want to support multiple Operating Systems simultaneously because it's expensive. Right now Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 update and Windows 10 are all supported. I suspect Microsoft would like to get that down to Windows 7, maybe Windows 8.1 update and Windows 10. If they could get enterprises to move to Windows 10 I wonder if they'd move the EOL for Win 7 forward from Jan. 2020.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-04-2015 at 7:05 AM.

A lot of companies just made the switch from XP to Win 7 a few years ago. If all they are doing is Excel and Word you don't need a lot of computer. The CAD and graphics people will need the extra power.

We were on a networked system of course which made it nice for storage and online software. I could put my PowerPoint with lots of pictures and graphics on my network drive and access from any campus computer.

Where my wife works its a big deal. All the software they do is special to a certain market. She does tech support and the change to a new OS is a nightmare for some customers.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    A lot of companies just made the switch from XP to Win 7 a few years ago. If all they are doing is Excel and Word you don't need a lot of computer. The CAD and graphics people will need the extra power.
    Plus there was a huge advantage when going from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS. Now that everything is 64 bit, multi core processors, and tons of RAM, I'm not sure what the lure to switch is if we're already taking advantage of those things.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If Microsoft sticks to their word, there'll never be a SP1. Updates will be deployed as they're deemed ready and there'll be no update bundles like a service pack. I don't know how subject to change that is.
    Probably true for people doing upgrade cycles, but I suspect there will be SPx configurations in the retail/new-install pipeline...they may call them "cumulative upgrades" instead of "service packs", but it's the same thing.

Otherwise installation will turn into a 30-minute install, 8-hour catch-up upgrade process that will cause screams from everyone involved.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thinking about Windows 10 upgrade? Sure you can Opt out but how many household and teen users would even see the option? Another online article in Newsweek and I will not post that link.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...plug_them.html
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-04-2015 at 9:56 AM.

It's not free now as a fresh install ......................... Free is only for upgrades from Windows 7 and 8.x.
    Not true, just not as simple as we'd like.
    You can download a Windows 10 .iso and burn it to disk or USB flash drive.
    First, you do have to upgrade your existing 7 or 8.1 machine. This registers your PC's hardware on Microsoft's servers. After that, you can wipe the hard drive and do a clean install. Windows 10 will check Microsoft's servers to confirm your PC is registered, and your good to go.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hunter View Post
    I did notice that there are lots of settings about location and adverts, so presumably we can expect M/S to make their money by bombarding us with adverts like the Android apps do.
    It's a good idea to go to Privacy (Start->Settings>Privacy), then go down the list on the left and turn off things or you WILL be the recipient of "personalized" advertising with a LOT of personal data shared out to companies paying MS for your data.

FWIW - on my Win 10 box, upgraded from Win7, X4 and X6 don't work quite right. Missing menus, even copy-paste glitches.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

If Microsoft sticks to their word, there'll never be a SP1. Updates will be deployed as they're deemed ready and there'll be no update bundles like a service pack. I don't know how subject to change that is.
    If you are a typical end user, you cannot turn off or avoid updates. They are now mandatory.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

It's not free now as a fresh install...
    Well, actually it is, sort of. Here is a link on what you have to do.
    (Oops, I see Gerry beat me to this.)

Regarding privacy issues;

https://i.imgur.com/iHge6RJ.jpg

Couldn't upload the full res version - it gets resized, so you'll need to click on the link to be able to read it.
    Win10Privacy.jpg
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 08-04-2015 at 3:33 PM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Imagine that, a built in keylogger
    Thunder Laser MARS 90 (130 watt)
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel
    1 Pencil Sharpener (manually operated)

The most stable computer I have is an old 300mhz HP running win98se. I need it to run my 2 Casmate's and the Opensys engraving program for 1 machine. It's been connected to the internet for over 3 years now without even an antivirus program on it. It's a bit slow for Corel and Gravostyle to be sure, but that can be fixed by running 98 on a fast computer.

Bill mentioned above that some of us "...don't need a lot of computer". I'm one of them. I do graphics, run machines, do email, and surf a few forums like this. THAT'S IT. No facebook, no social media (aside from forums) whatsoever. I just need a computer that will actually open an import window box when I press the "import" button, NOW. My Win8.1 HP, which I'm using right now, is the absolute slowest computer I have running, yet it's the "most powerful". Yeah, right. My single Win7 loads programs at blazing speed, but won't RUN them any faster than my win8, and they're both slower than my XP's. My 98 and my 3 XP's, when I hit "import", the file folders open instantly. Win7 takes about 3 seconds, this win8 takes 8 seconds. EIGHT SECONDS!!!! WHY!!?? Takes THREE seconds just for the stupid circle thing to start spinning... ARRGHH!!!!

Most of my equipment requires XP or older to run them. My current win7 will run my older machines, but I had 2 win7 computers that wouldn't, no matter what I tried. Win8 is useless to me. And I'm afraid Win10 will be even less than useless.

BTW, I know all the warnings about the dangers of running XP on the internet. If and when I ever run into any of those dangers, I'll be sure to let everyone know!

Have fun with W10. I'll just keep running XP till I can't work a keyboard no more...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Dangers with XP on the Internet? There are lots of good anti-virus and anti-malware programs out that work just fine. I agree with Kev 100% I started out with a TRS-80 late 70's and later used MS-DOS for years. The only reason I replaced the XP shop computer is I needed internet and I had a Windows 7 machine that worked great using my existing wireless, and ran my machine using a USB to Parallel cable.

Don't need to be connected 24/7 to Facebook and the rest, or view every Flash ad or video on MSN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Not true, just not as simple as we'd like.
    You can download a Windows 10 .iso and burn it to disk or USB flash drive.
    First, you do have to upgrade your existing 7 or 8.1 machine. This registers your PC's hardware on Microsoft's servers. After that, you can wipe the hard drive and do a clean install. Windows 10 will check Microsoft's servers to confirm your PC is registered, and your good to go.
    This works as long as the machine in question had Windows 7 or Windows 8 already installed and activated. This wouldn't work on a brand new machine without an O.S. installed or a machine running XP or Vista AFAIK. Gotta get out the credit card in those cases.

Right, it's only free as an upgrade to 7 or 8.1. But you can do a clean install after the upgrade.
    Gerry

JointCAM