Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I received my new Laguna LT14 SUV bandsaw but...

I received my new Laguna LT14 SUV bandsaw but...

Hi All,
    I received a new Laguna LT14 SUV bandsaw today via UPS Freight. The pallet that the saw sat on was very flimsy and all the 4 bolts that bolted the saw to the pallet all bent up and came lose. However, there is no visible damage to the saw so I accepted and have the driver note it on the paper. Upon installing the saw, I found that the motor was damage. One of the cover was messed up. It probably still works but I file a claim to Amazon anyway. One of the "damage" that I am not sure about is the upper part of the saw that cave in like the picture I am attaching. Maybe it's just the design that lock the cover of the upper wheel. Can someone with this same saw tell me if it's damage?
    TIA
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

As that is a pretty standard design for a bandsaw, and mine is straight as an arrow in that place, I would say that got bent .. Too bad ..

Mike

Yes, that would be technically "damage". It looks to be minor from the photo, and could easily be straightened, as long as it is not interfering with raising the blade guide and guard mechanism.
    I personally would just coldset it back into place, and enjoy the saw.

BTW. Congrat's on your new bandsaw.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-01-2015 at 3:12 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Mike

Yes, that would be technically "damage". It looks to be minor from the photo, and could easily be straightened, as long as it is not interfering with raising the blade guide and guard mechanism.
    I personally would just coldset it back into place, and enjoy the saw.

BTW. Congrat's on your new bandsaw.
    ^^^this^^^
    Straighten it, and use the saw. Not a big deal.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

When I plunk down my hard earned cash for a tool, I want it right. I do not want to look at it forever and know that it was damaged.

Unfortunately, shipping big tools is subject to all to frequent damage. Some will be fine and others with some degree of damage. I bought most of my tools from a tool store to make certain that they were not damaged and I did not have to deal with issues like this. Did it cost a little more...yes but it was worth it for me.

How is the tracking of the upper blade guide as it's raised and lowered? Is the back where the blade guide mechanism attaches straight? That would be my concern.

My bet is that it fell over in transit. I would be doing everything I could to get it replaced. Not worth fighting with it forever.

If it is no functional issue, and the defect is aceptable to you to look at forever, Amazon has paid me 30% and more to keep an item that is a pain to replace. Ymmv.

Better check those trunnions close though.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The back seems to be straight. I can lower and raise the guide fine. I bought it from Woodcraft through Amazon and live about 6 miles from Laguna Tools. I have to wait until Monday to hear from Woodcraft to see what they will do.

I have sold a number of these saws and I have seen the exact same damage before. It smacked the side of the truck, or the side of the truck smacked it. File a claim, get a new unbent one.

Does the bend affect how straight the guides raise and lower? (i.e., would you need to adjust the guide spacing to the blade as you raise/lower the guides?)

thanks
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Does the bend affect how straight the guides raise and lower? (i.e., would you need to adjust the guide spacing to the blade as you raise/lower the guides?)

thanks
    Matt
    I think it does somewhat because it squeaks when I raise the guides up. Woodcraft is replacing the saw and the new one arrives tomorrow. We'll see if the new one is Ok.

I think this saw was knocked over and should go back. If this saw was green and had 1/3 of the damage yours has, the crowd would have called for the CEO's head by now. I don't know why they want you to fix this one.

It's kind of like a boxer with a black eye. The eye you can see, but how hard was the hit that created the damage, has it done any internal structural damage, how are you supposed to tell? I don't want your next post to be " Laguna 14 won't track during resaw...". I'd have it sent back, try again, go pick one up if that's optional.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Perfect example of how equipment purchases are "not like buying shoes from Zappos." Dealing with a return of this nature is no fun! And one has to wonder what the vendor(s) will do with this thing when they get it back? If the shipping prep was so poorly engineered that the bolts gave ... I'd have limited confidence the next unit would arrive any better. Larger bandsaws either need to be heavily thru-bolted to strong pallets (that's what I've done) or Erik Loza once had a write-up on placing them on their backs and boxing for shipping. The amount of force required to use just rigging chains and belts to strap a unit upright is likely to damage doors certainly, possibly frame. Even the smaller LT14SUV would likely need a trailer or pickup and some creative blocking.