Thread: Delta 46-700

Delta 46-700

I have a Delta 46-700 for sale near me. With the horror stories on Delta parts availability should I even give it consideration? I feel the price is right but sometimes it can't be cheap enough. Should I move on. They want $275 for it. Thanks in advance.

is that just the lathe or is there enough accessories to justify buying it? some have gotten enough tools and such that the lathes itself are about free.

There are high speed lathe tools and a live center and drive spur. That's all. Not much to sweeten the deal.

I started out turning with a 46-700 back around 1990-ish. The lathe had quite a few features I liked but the mechanical variable speed (Reeve's drive) was not very good quality. I turned on that lathe for about 12 years and had to re-build the motor end of the drive system about every 3 or 4 years while I had it. The parts required to re-build it were only about $40 or $50 the first time I did it but it was closer to $85 or $90 the third (and last) time I rebuilt it. The wait for parts was only a week or two the first time and had grown to 3 or 4 months the last time, which was 15 years or so ago. The lathe has been out of production since the mid-1990's or so, so I would be a bit leery about parts availability now.

I would steer clear of it, myself.

Take care
    Bob

P.S.: I bought mine brand new for ~$500, so even $275 sounds a bit steep to me for a 20 year old lathe.
    Last edited by Bob Hamilton; 08-02-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks Bob, that was what I wanted to know.