Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shop Cabinets

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    What a Class-A shop!

Whats up with these drawers? It looks like there is a dust partition on them?
    Optical illusion. They're just regular drawers that happen to be empty in the picture.

Come on gang. Tom is trying to get some sharing going on about our shop cabinets.

Look forward to seeing your ideas on homemade storage in your shop.
    Bring 'em on.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-05-2015 at 11:00 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've enjoyed your shop cabinets before, just trying to remember if it was here or elsewhere. Love the shop and the functionality you have built in.

I didn't know Powermatic made a sliding table attachment! That is a pretty sweet bit of kit. Does it work well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark FL View Post
    Yep, you missed it. This thread was meant to feature just shop cabinets, not a shop tour. However, the second photo in the first post showed the whole shop for the curious. My main machines are clustered in the center around my dust collectors, eliminating the need for dust lines running everywhere. I never wanted a shop octopus, and when I see a photo of a shop with stuff running all over the floor, it is all to easy to imagine me tripping over it and breaking something.
    This was a real treat. The picture of your island caught my eye. Is your green band saw table height the same as your table saw/assembly table?

And I have a copy of Practical Shop Cabinets as well. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    I've enjoyed your shop cabinets before, just trying to remember if it was here or elsewhere. Love the shop and the functionality you have built in.

I didn't know Powermatic made a sliding table attachment! That is a pretty sweet bit of kit. Does it work well?
    Doug,

Saw the Powermatic sliding table at the big Atlanta woodworking show - around 25 years ago - and ordered one. Then when back home I went looking for a used Powermatic saw to put it on. It was one of the first sliders I saw that would cross cut 50". Others came on the market later. It really helped my telescope business by drastically cutting the time it took to cut parts square. Still using the same saw. Before the Powermatic I had purchased a Delta contractors saw with a Mule sliding table. It would only crosscut about 29" and was really crude compared to the Powermatic.

Bruce,

The table on the bandsaw ( a 20" Woodcraft that I added a homemade oversize plywood/formica table to) is about 3" higher than the workbench. It works great anyway, especially when cutting a couple of hundred 8' curved plywood ribs for when the observatory was under construction. (see photo in post #19)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (109.6 KB, 79 views)
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 08-06-2015 at 8:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Come on gang. Tom is trying to get some sharing going on about our shop cabinets.

Bring 'em on.
    Who could favorably compare ? Tom's storage is "top drawer".

Actually, Tom's stuff is made to "shop cabinet" quality, nothing fancy, all plywood with unfinished edges. It works well, but all the cabinets are quite similar.…

What Glenn is saying is there are many other cabinet designs woodworkers have built that we would like to see. Come on guys. Let's see your ideas. I would like to get some new ideas too.

7. I used Tom's book to get me started building cabinets in my shop. I started with a simple free-standing cabinet:

IMG_0676.jpg

After struggling with the drawer slides and faces, I built up enough confidence to build a flip-top roll-around for my sander/planer:
    IMG_0779.jpg

Then I finally tackled my ultimate goal of a complete miter station with enough storage for just about everything in my shop:
    IMG_0032.jpeg

Complete w/ a couple upper cabinets. Now I take advantage of expanding my cabinet building skills, using a couple lowers that I built in a class, w/ a salvaged maple top:

IMG_2282.jpg

Tom's book is a great guide and resource for building strong, practical shop cabinets and more (unsolicited endorsement).

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Handyside View Post
    I used Tom's book to get me started building cabinets in my shop. I started with a simple free-standing cabinet:

IMG_0676.jpg

After struggling with the drawer slides and faces, I built up enough confidence to build a flip-top roll-around for my sander/planer:
    IMG_0779.jpg

Then I finally tackled my ultimate goal of a complete miter station with enough storage for just about everything in my shop:
    IMG_0032.jpeg

Complete w/ a couple upper cabinets. Now I take advantage of expanding my cabinet building skills, using a couple lowers that I built in a class, w/ a salvaged maple top:

IMG_2282.jpg

Tom's book is a great guide and resource for building strong, practical shop cabinets and more (unsolicited endorsement).
    Nice work !!!!!!
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

I bought Tom's book a few years ago and used his methods to build several of my cabinets.

Here is a cabinet I made to fit under my drill press.
    image.jpg

I have built four other cabinets using his methods.

Tom, are you still selling your book? I've tried to contact you through email... your website paypal link doesn't work for me. Want to confirm you're still fulfilling orders before I mail off a check. Thx!
    --Ben

My shop has supports three separate areas, woodworking, modem making, and machining.
    You build modems?!?!?! That isn't a typo is it?

Robby

Blog Entries
    Tom, great cabinets. I'm building a new shop and expect to finally use your book.

whatnabout another press run of The Modern Dobsonian?

Look at all that wasted space under my assembly table! And the junk lying around waiting for drawers! Still figuring out how to configure drawers/cabinets underneath. I'm going to make them as slide in removable boxes so I can reconfigure later if (when) I get better ideas, fine tune workflow, etc.

image.jpg

I'm just getting started in my new shop. Built a miter station with 8' on ether side. Still need to finish the drawer boxes and doors. I re purposed some shelves I took out of a office remodel.
    cabinets3.jpg

I bought Tom's book years ago. This is my first of two router cabinets I'm building using Tom's design as a guide.

Dust collection boxes that go between the two banks of smaller drawers.
    Attached Images Attached Images