Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veritas PM-V11 plane blades: Add a hollow grind?

I have been using PM-V11 from preproduction times as I was one of the testers for Lee Valley. I hollow grind all my blades, and this included the first blades, and all subsequent PM-V11 blades. I have used a 10" Tormek, 8" white Norton wheels, and 8" CBN wheels. They all produced a trouble-free hollow on this steels, whether in chisel or plane blade form. The steel has been excellent in achieving and holding a fine edge.

All BU blades are hollow ground at 25 degree, and a micro secondary is added. Essentially it comes down to two angles, 25 degrees for end/cross grain and 25 degrees+50 degree secondary for a smoother. For BD planes, I hollow at 30 degrees and freehand hone on top of that. The only disappointment I have had with PM-V11 is when I tested a 25 degree hollow on the LN #51 shooting plane (i.e. 45 degree bed). It was very ordinary, no different from a LN A2 blade. Previously I had superior results from shooting a 25 degree BU blade, and I expected the same. BD blades really benefit from a 30 degree primary, regardless of steel type (Note: my primary is the same as the final angle since I hone on a hollow).

With regard chipbreakers, I know that I cannot swap a LV chipbreaker to my LN #3. From memory, either the screw is slightly too high on the LN or the cut out is different.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 08-03-2015 at 8:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Derek!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have been using PM-V11 from preproduction times as I was one of the testers for Lee Valley. I hollow grind all my blades, and this included the first blades, and all subsequent PM-V11 blades. I have used a 10" Tormek, 8" white Norton wheels, and 8" CBN wheels. They all produced a trouble-free hollow on this steels, whether in chisel or plane blade form. The steel has been excellent in achieving and holding a fine edge.

All BU blades are hollow ground at 25 degree, and a micro secondary is added. Essentially it comes down to two angles, 25 degrees for end/cross grain and 25 degrees+50 degree secondary for a smoother. For BD planes, I hollow at 30 degrees and freehand hone on top of that. The only disappointment I have had with PM-V11 is when I tested a 25 degree hollow on the shooting plane. It was very ordinary, no different from a LN A2 blade. Previously I had superior results from shooting a 25 degree BU blade, and I expected the same. BD blades really benefit from a 30 degree primary, regardless of steel type.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Great info. Thanks, Derek.

I have also hollow ground my LV blade made from "the steel LV calls PMV-11". No problems in a BD plane. I hollow grind at something like 25 degrees, but add a small secundairy bevel at a higher angle. All freehand, so I have no idea what angle precisely, but the edge doesn't crumble.

It is not so much the primary angle that matters in a BD plane. It is the final angle at the edge after all sharpening, honing and stropping is done. The acid test is if the edge holds up for the type of work you do on the type of wood you use. I often find antique wooden planes where the primary angle is very shallow, like 15 degrees. After adding a secundairy bevel, those blades hold up perfectly well.