Thread: A new wooden plane maker. Double iron!

A new wooden plane maker. Double iron!

Our own Steve Voigt started out on his own! Reintroducing the early 19th century double iron plane, when the wooden plane reached its utimate form and function.

http://www.voigtplanes.com/

Kudoos to Steve. He managed to persuade LV to make tapered O1 irons for his endeavour. Good job.

Blog Entries
    Cheers! Steve, I wish you a great deal of success!

It's awesome that LV is able to produce the blades in 01 with a taper, and the cap irons look spectacular. I appreciate the amount of planning that goes into the plane body, from how the grain is oriented all the way on through the cutout and final details.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-02-2015 at 9:44 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Very nice! I sent Steve a question, which maybe Brian answers above? He is using modified LV double iron plane blades in his planes? I'm not sure if LV or Steve or both are modifying the blades nor exactly how, hard to tell in the pictures I saw? I have these planes I built from odd parts Steve Knight sold me when he shut down his business. All the old Knight blades I have are quite short and I have been looking for a solution. An issue may be that a blade that long might run into the D handles on my Jack & Jointer, but I have a couple good blades for them anyway. I thought about this option before but I was afraid I would have to make new wedges or modify my plane bodies so the bolt holding the two irons together would clear the wood? This seems to me to be the unique value added that Steve is offering, never before offered in a wooden plane. Not, of course, to under value the beautiful workmanship on all the wood parts. Is the wood German Kiln dried Beech or something similar?

Best wishes to Steve on his new venture. More power to those who work up the courage to pursue work they love & believe in.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 08-02-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Yeah, it is pretty sweet. Good looking planes. Hope it works out for him.
    Too bad I am not really in a need of one at the moment. I just tuned up an old beautiful Mathieson jointer from eBay, that plane took some 8 thou shavings from short hard maple scrap, sounded very load and authoritative, none of the soft swooshes one sees in videos

Kees, thanks very much for the shout out. I appreciate it. Brian and Reinis, thanks for the comments.

Mike Holbrook: The irons are not modified, they are made to my specs by LV, and are different than either their straight blades or the tapered single irons they sell. They are tapered from 3/16" to 3/32", like most of the 19th c. irons in my collection. The cap irons I make in-house, also in the style of 19th c. cap irons.

If I recall correctly, Steve Knight's blades were exactly 1/4" thick. It should be a simple matter to get someone to make blades in that thickness, whatever length/width you desire. You might ask Ron Brese--he's in your neck of the woods, I think.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

That is really cool that they are making blades for you. I guess tha means that your irons will have the flattest backs.

Are you going to sell a blade and chipbreaker kits or would that eat in your plane business?

Good luck with it Steve, hope it flies….

Steve was kind enough to make one of these for me.

It is the smoothest plane to adjust for depth that I've ever owned.

With a correctly weighted mallet (I made mine from a broken Louisville slugger)
    it sets faster than any of my cast iron planes, and is a breeze to handle.

Paired with his smaller version (more a mini-smoother than block plane),
    Steve can offer a suite of planes that I consider flawless in execution.

Who else among us has a box full of woodies we will rehab 'some day'?
    I did the math - it would have been cheaper to by from Steve from the start.

Money well spent, and from one of our own, no less.

Jim
    Westport, MA

Hi Steve

All the best for the new venture (again - I left a message on WoodNet). The concept looks excellent. I do hope that the public recognise that you are offering state of the art.

With egads 1/4" parallel blades, HNT Gordon offer them in O1 and HSS. I also have a Chinese handmade laminated blade from Galoot Tools (Chris Scholz), who was the agent (I actually got mine from Steve Knight).

Regards from Perth

Derek