Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake Excrement - Tool Cover

Snake Excrement - Tool Cover

My workshop is a stand alone building sited on the edge of some woods next to a farm field in SE Virginia. I share the shop with a black snake or two. The snakes keep the field mice under control and generally stay quite out of the way and we've happily coexisted for many years - untill now. Unfortunately one of the snakes, from a rafter above the table saw, took a runny dump right in the middle of the saw with resultant splatter covering about 4 square feet. As I had been away for some time, much rust/corrosion was the result.

The shop is not heated or cooled unless I'm using it. I keep the tools well waxed and have never had any rust problems before this incident. Never have used any tool cover because I didn't think I had a problem that needed one and because I have the idea that covering things that can get condensation is counter productive.

Is there a tool cover that will protect against ariel snake attack while not creating it's own problem of holding condensation in?

Blog Entries
    Breathable tool covers are available and are breathable for just the reasons you state. HTC has some. I use painters tarps BUT, I do not leave the tools covered for an extended period of time so my requirement is different.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For what its worth a cat would be a better investment!

Now there is a woodshop problem you don't see every day!
    How 'bout making a cover with plywood -- maybe 1/8th inch. Cleats front rear rest on the rip-fence rails, not on the cast iron. And you could likely make a resting spot on the blade insert -- it isn't made from cast iron. Heck, you rest the cover on the tips of the saw blade.

If this is a first time event that may or may not happen again I would clean up the mess and not worry about it. Depending on climate conditions, covering up for future snake poop bombs could make things worse.
    Or get a cat to keep the mice under control.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'd cover the top with osb or my favorite, shiny cardboard, (aka a tv box). I've found both to work very well to stop rust and they protect from errant damage. You do have to drop the blade though. I posted years ago about using tyvek but it's a bit expensive.

these have always looked interesting to me.

http://www.toolclad.com
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Go to Harbor Freight and get a canvas dropcloth.

I had a real problem with wasp excrement on work I was varnishing; even one "flaw" is enough to mar a finish.

Could you not apply a plywood shield to the rafters just over the table saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    these have always looked interesting to me.

http://www.toolclad.com
    I like that idea, think I'll buy one. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    For what its worth a cat would be a better investment!
    Ugh. I'm having to rebuild a wooden jointer stand right now because the guy I bought the jointer and stand from had a cat. PeeYew! Cat wizz is the most caustic and powerfully persistent liquid ever devised.

Just "house train" the snake or get it a "snake box". The trick will be to find snake litter. I understand you can substitute kitty litter.....,,

There was a time when I couldn't work on my woodworking for half a year.
    When I came back to my basement to rebuild my shop, I found my cat footprints on my jointer table. You know, that cat footprint thing. They must have some acid on their paws. It was almost like a joke; a jointer table with rust with the shape of cat's footprints....

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. There is indeed something to be said for doing nothing if it's a once every 15 year event. I think the idea of a plywood child under the rafters is a good one. They're actually collar ties and there is lighting and a vacuum hose that drops down to the tables saw from above, but I think it's doable.