16 16.33%
  • No, for sure not

81 82.65%
  • I can't swim

1 1.02%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swimming Pool or No pool?

Swimming Pool or No pool?

I have a small pond in my backyard - about 12 by 8. We put it on about 8-9 years ago. I am ready to fill it in with dirt - so tired to take care of it. Question arise - should we put a pool on this place?
    Thinking about fiberglass vs concrete, medium size.
    Owners of the pool - please chimes with your opinions:
    Would you do it again?
    How much headache to take care of it?
    What material, if you do it again, you will use?

Blog Entries
    The only time I found having a pool tolerable with my lifestyle was when I had a pool service. I think having a pool is like having a boat. Many people want them but, only a fraction of those are willing to put out the effort required to make them enjoyable. I think pools and boats are great. I just don't have time for them as my interests lie elsewhere. Someone else would wonder why I spend all that valuable boating time in the shop so, there you go
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

To me, a swimming pool is a definite yes if it's in a year-round warm climate and it's long enough for swimming laps.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    I am ready to fill it in with dirt - so tired to take care of it.
    Unless you are willing to pay a pool service as Glenn said, you will likely find that you want to fill it in with dirt too. In my opinion, the pool services do the bare minimum to keep it from turning green. Usually, that means to clean out the leaves and jack up the chlorine level.

The quality of your supply water will directly impact the difficulty maintaining proper levels, as well as the rate at which mineral deposits form on the sides.

There are some great online resources like Trouble Free Pool that can help you with the selection of pool type and maintenance. The folks there advocate a pool that is as chemical free as possible and can elaborate in great detail the chlorination options (salt water chlorine generators, chlorine tablets, and bleach from the discount store). TroubleFreePool has a great section called Pool School to help you get started. In any case, it takes work (or money) if you want really nice water.

If I were forced to put in a pool today, it would be a salt water gunite pool with a plaster finish. FWIW, I think salt water is easier than bleach or chlorine tablets, but it has drawbacks too. Although porous gunite/plaster requires more work, I like the look better. If I didn't care about the look, I would build a pond with a sand beach and let the fish take care of the water.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-04-2015 at 4:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    To me, a swimming pool is a definite yes if it's in a year-round warm climate...
    I used to think the same way. It sounds really great until you find that the water gets so warm that it is not refreshing.

Years ago we were researching swimming pools. At that time one site had everything about pools. What stuck in my mind was that the interest/use of a pool was three years. It was great the first year and waned to little use by the third.
    This bore out with two of our friends. Buy the 5th year they had the payments and the upkeep.

I agree pools are like boats, they're awfully nice when you can go use a friends....

People who have kids, then moved to a house with a pool, have all reported the same thing to me.

The first year, everyone loves the pool and it gets lots of use. The kids invite their friends over and have pool parties.

The second year, not so much, but it still gets some use.

Third year, very little use.

Fourth year and beyond, all they do is clean the pool.

Pools are expensive, also, because of the pool pump (electricity) and the maintenance.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

We purchased a home in 2007 that came with an in-ground salt water pool. Our summers here are 5 months long in the low 100's, and 7 months long if you include the 80's and the 90's. The pool has a waterfall which acts as an evaporative cooler to keep the temperature from getting too high on hot days, and a passive solar system to heat the pool which extends the usable pool year. The pool came with a gas heater which we mainly use for the spa, but if we feel really flush can be used to heat the pool also. So far that has only happened when the grandkids come in the winter. The pool gets used constantly. during our season.

We use a pool service which comes every week for $100 per month plus chemicals which amount to about $200 per year. My friends have dispensed with the pool service, but it gives me some peace of mind. Maintenance has included a new salt cell ($1200), a new filter housing ($700 paid for by insurance), and pool and spa light replacements ($400). We replaced the filter pump with a high efficiency variable speed pump at the suggestion of the local power company, and that penciled out to pay back in about 30 months.

In addition to the usage the pool and the water feature and the lighting give visual interest and sound to an otherwise bland desert setting.

I'd ditto what Julie said, it has to be long enough for laps and most pools are not.

I'd like to try an infinite pool but haven't.

Most of my issues would be resolved by winning the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Most of my issues would be resolved by winning the lottery.
    I can't agree more!

Another comparison with boat ownership: It is easy to sell a boat. A pool, not so much.

+1 for what Glenn said.

I have always said having a pool would be nice, but the only way I would do is if I had a pool-boy or service. No way I am going to get tied down that much.....yet at the same time my wife and I are actually thinking about buying a boat. Go figure.

We have a pool. It is fun sometimes. We have a pool service. We are happy that it came with the house. And… we would never go to the cost of building one from scratch.

Years ago, when we had a Jacuzzi, we used it much more frequently.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

We've had a pool for 25 years. It is in partial shade so the water stays cool to cold, which we like. Since my (un-air conditioned) shop is 150 yards from the house I get in at lunch time. On really hot days I take mid afternoon dip.

One thing I always recommend to friends considering a pool is get a diatomaceous earth filter. This removes much smaller particulates than a sand filter.

I spend less than $100. per year on chemicals - liquid shock chlorine and baking soda does it all.

Here's a good story about the horrors of owning a pool.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/29697757/...e#.Vb_imPlVgSU

Heavy rains + empty pool = big trouble...
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...