• Yes, definitly

16 16.33%
  • No, for sure not

81 82.65%
  • I can't swim

1 1.02%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Swimming Pool or No pool?

We've been asking around a lot about salt water pools since we've been here. Everyone who has them loves them. Maintenance is a fraction. Cost to maintain is a fraction. They all say the water is much easier on the skin and there's no chlorine smell. I originally thought the salt content was that of the ocean but that is wrong. Salt content is lower than what's in a teardrop. This information has been gleaned from private owners, service personnel, pool installers and a congenial man named Lou who fills retirement voids working at a pool supply store.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

We've had a pool for 6 years. The first few years we used it fairly often. Last year we used it three times, this year once. We had lots of rain this summer which kept the water out of balance. It adds about $150 per month to our electric bill and probably another $200 a month in chemicals. I live in Oklahoma City with fairly hot summers and mild winters. Even with that it is mid May before the water is warm enough to swim and by mid September it is too cool to swim. I've offered to go to a hotel for the night anytime we decide to go swimming just so I can get rid of the pool and the maintenance required. Here a swimming pool adds no value to your property and may actually make it harder to sell.