Thread: Help! Spar urethanes

Help! Spar urethanes

Help! In the middle of a project I was using a spray can of Rustoleum Spar Urethane Semi Gloss. After spraying the project with one coat and just starting on the second car the spray can just stopped spraying. By weight I can tell the spray can is almost half full, but the propellant must have expired.

Locally Menards and Lowes and my Ace Hardware all carry Rustoleum products but none carry the Spry spar urethane.

Can I finish the project spraying with Minwax Helmsman Spar urethane without sanding off the Rustoleum? Or do I need to start over from bare wood?

Thanks
    Ricc Havens
    Elkhart, IN

are you sure the nozzle is just not clogged? After each spray session, you might in the future spray upside down for a few seconds to flush the nozzle.

Positive it's not clogged. It stopped mid spray. As I was making a spray pass the propellant slowed and sputtered like it was out of pressure. And I always do the upside down nozzle flush.

just trying to find out if anyone knows if Mineax Spar is compatible for finishing the partially finished coat and for additional coats.

Ricc

I have had that loss of pressure also, presumably from too much spraying upside down to prevent clogging.

Makes me wonder whether anyone uses the other method of storing entire can upside down with a little solvent in the cup in the lid, so that the nozzle is submersed (I read this as a tip in a journal)?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

There is, of course, a YouTube fix for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InXaSfYqUeI
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)