Thread: Built-In Shelving Question

Built-In Shelving Question

I've got orders to make built-in shelving floor-to-ceiling to the right and left of our brick fireplace. Issue I have is there is 36" to the right and 48" to the left. Would you build full width shelves or put a vertical divider at 36" on the left side?

Thanks,

Mike

Not so sure I'd upset the symmetry with two different width shelvings/bookcase as it would be an eye catcher. Would two matching sets of 3' shelves with a tall lamp, etc. at 4' end to use up the remaining foot be an alternative???

However, if this to be then I would add a full length support, perhaps a 3/4 x 2, along the front of the 3' shelves rather than a mid-point divider & the same for the 4' shelves (for a similar appearance), plus a 45° slanted vertical divider, or perhaps (?????) even discreet/disguised/decorative angle brackets that support the 4' shelves.

I'm with Al on not breaking up the symmetry, unless maybe you've got a window or other existing wall feature on that longer side that already affects the visual balance of wall. You could put in a divider as suggested on that side and add a built-in display cabinet, and give it more of a vertical appearance by adding either more closely spaced shelves or a glass paneled door with vertical muntins.

Not sure how it would look, but you might consider an attached cabinet with doors for the corner unless you could find other uses.. Just a thought.

Thanks for the input. I used my simple 2-d drawing program and symmetrical does look best, but, my wife insists we use all the space. I was thinking of putting something in the blank space like a plant of vertical decoration. She wants additional shelf space. I did look more online by googling and found some non-symmetric space designs and a couple of them tried not to make both sides identical i.e. on one side shelving floor to ceiling and on the other side a cabinet with shelving on top. Think I'll make a few more sketches and see if one grows on me (and the boss).

Mike

Try making the addition a different shape .. maybe a little taller or shorter and/or maybe protruding more. See how that looks.

Changing the plane, the design, and/or the color of the odd space can help give a more balanced look.

built-ins 1 8-4-15.jpg Built-ins 2 8-4-15.jpg