Thread: Bowl From A Board

Bowl From A Board

I've seen pictures of these bowls here and on other sites and thought I'd give it a try. It's made from Cherry, Spalted Cherry, Walnut and Purpleheart. It's about 12" across and 6" high. I was happy with the way it turned out for my first attempt and think I'll try a few more...thanks for looking.

CAM00254.jpgCAM00255.jpg

Very cool bowl.

Red
    RED

3. Very nice. How did you cut the rings and at what angle?

Jeff

Very nice Barry. I took a class with one of our club members this Spring on making a bowl from a board. Interesting process. Yours looks great!

I really need to try that too. Yours looks great.

Thanks everyone for the replies......Jeff...I drilled a small whole at the edge of each ring at 35 degrees and set the table on my scrollsaw to the same angle to cut them. It's a little slow cutting on the scrollsaw but I didn't like the idea of cutting the board in half and then cutting the rings on the bandsaw and gluing them back together again. I read of some bowls being cut at 27 degrees and others at 45 degrees and just decided that with the 1" thick board I was using, 35 degrees worked out well.

Very nice work Barry I really like the pattern and colors they work well together; I'm laying up a bowl right now Sapele & curly Maple and may throw in some figured Cherry also, this is how I really like making bowls.

Bruce

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Your grain choice and arrangement is very artistic. Sometimes these are sort of random, but this has a really nice blend.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

9. Hi Barry,

Thanks for the cutting info. What was the width of the ring walls after cutting? I have a scroll saw that i have never use so might give this a try.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walters View Post
    Hi Barry,

Thanks for the cutting info. What was the width of the ring walls after cutting? I have a scroll saw that i have never use so might give this a try.

Jeff
    Thanks Brian and Bruce for the comments.....Jeff the rings are 3/4" across after cutting...if this helps here are a couple of pics of the circles laid out on the board (the center piece is 4" across) and the rings before the glue up...

CAM00242.jpgCAM00243.jpg
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 08-06-2015 at 6:39 AM.

11. Thanks Barry. I think i am going to give this a try.

Jeff

Barry great looking bowl! I hope you mean 4" not 4'. Do you think I would get the same results with 3/4" stock and 35 degrees?

I know the guys at our turning club give one of the turners a ribbing because he creates segment bowls, but I think they are really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    Barry great looking bowl! I hope you mean 4" not 4'. Do you think I would get the same results with 3/4" stock and 35 degrees?

I know the guys at our turning club give one of the turners a ribbing because he creates segment bowls, but I think they are really neat.
    Thanks Robert...and yes it's 4" ..thanks for pointing that out... I think you would get good results with 3/4 stock .....it would just affect the height of the bowl....it would probably end up around 4 1/2" high..

I'm always impressed by those that can get their bowls from a board to come out "not" looking like a BFB. After attending several of Michael Mode's (http://www.michaelmode.com/gallery.html) demos at the 2013 AAW Symposium, I came home and tried doing some. I could never get mine to look right. I was never able to blend in the line between the rings like I can on a segmented piece. I tried some again a few months back and still was not satisfied with them. Michael Mode cuts his rings on the band saw and turns them on the lathe (look at the finish gets on them), that is the method I tried. Another impressive BFB turned is William (Bill) Young from Canada. Bill uses the Ringmaster lathe to build his bowls and gets impressive results http://www.wmyoung.proboards.com/boa...-lathe-turning.