Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Recommendations] Line Boring

[Recommendations] Line Boring

Greetings. I own a small cabinet shop with limited square footage, and I'm in the market to replace my line boring system. Until recently (well, technically, we're still using it) we've been using the Hafele Variantool aluminum jig (it's about 42" long, has guide holes spaced for 32 mm and a drill bit with bushing, so it doesn't wear out the hole) and I've been very pleased with it. However, it is showing its age, and unfortunately Hafele no longer makes this or anything similar, and I cannot get replacement parts for it. It seems the only other comparable job I can find is the Festool jig, but the dollar signs make my hackles raise and it looks like I have to get their specific drill motor as opposed to being able to chuck a bit in any only drill.

So! Does anyone have any recommendations for line boring they'd like to make?

Thanks!

Pneumatic hinge machine with a line boring head? Throat depth is a little limited but they're much faster than router jigs as you're drilling 7 holes at a pass. I have a Grass Ecopress that I picked up used for $650. Great little machine.

Festool system is nice as it doesn't take up any space.

Having used, and cursed the Grass eco press line bore for more years than I want to count, I would suggest not going there! I tried adjusting mine with digital calipers, but you can't escape the fact that you are indexing from 4 different corners- accumulated error is real.
    So, a stand alone unit is what I got, after much, much searching.
    Ayen, and Gannomat are THE gold standard! You ideally would want a double row machine. There is zero possibility for error between holes, as you always reference 1 end. Usually they are 21 or 23 spindles in a row- enough to do a base cabinet in one shot.

I've never had accuracy issues with my EcoPress. Were you using the fence with built-in stops or index pins on the drill head?

Heard these are decent, simple machines as well: http://www.conquestind.com/boring_machine.php

The major issue is that, a month before my jig started to get wonky, I got my finisher a fancy new pump setup, so I'm looking to keep costs down. I really like how the Variantool (and the Festool jig, I suppose) takes up virtually no room at all and makes it relatively easy to make short runs of bores, for instances when I don't want the holes to run the whole height of the cabinet.

I looked at the Veritas system 32 for a job I was anticipating but the job didn't come through. Here's the link: http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=164

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Heard these are decent, simple machines as well: http://www.conquestind.com/boring_machine.php
    Conquest are very common in small shops. Never personally used one but based on what I have seen, they must have a good track record. Or, try to find a used Ritter.

Best of luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

If you're looking for something to drill shelf pins, the True Position TP-1935 is pretty nice. It wouldn't really be suitable for drawer slide holes but it does hardware holes nicely as well. Hardened steel bushings too.

I bought new on Ebay at a significant discount to what it sells for on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/True-Position-.../dp/B003E46SWS

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Leback View Post
    Until recently (well, technically, we're still using it) we've been using the Hafele Variantool aluminum jig (it's about 42" long, has guide holes spaced for 32 mm and a drill bit with bushing, so it doesn't wear out the hole) and I've been very pleased with it. However, it is showing its age, and unfortunately Hafele no longer makes this or anything similar, and I cannot get replacement parts for it.
    I don't have anything helpful to add but I'm curious how your existing jig is showing wear?

Where do you live. Springfield IL has a line bore machine cheap on cl. Jeremy is selling it.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I prefer a line boring jig that uses plunge router. I don't think MEG is still in business, but that's what mine is based upon. They are easy to make, but hard to make accurately. Mine symetrical along center line with stepped index hole at either end, which means I can move it up. First one was made on a Bridgeport mill with digital readout. I made both inch and 32 mm versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I've never had accuracy issues with my EcoPress. Were you using the fence with built-in stops or index pins on the drill head?
    Mine had no index pins on the head. Getting the holes "close" is easy, getting a perfect fitting "no rock" shelf was harder.
    Not to mention how slow 5 holes at a time is, or if your holes are a different measurement from the front than the back.
    No matter how you slice it, the hinge machines are a "make do" at best.
    Time is money.
    Last edited by peter gagliardi; 08-04-2015 at 9:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Leback View Post

So! Does anyone have any recommendations for line boring they'd like to make?

Thanks!

I recently picked up an old Ritter R-46 line bore for $650. It was a little rough though. I made a new fence with gravity stops from 80/20 extrusions that fold up vertically to get them out of the way as my shop is tiny, and packed full. I had to replace a bunch of airlines on it. I had to adjust the ways so it would travel smoothly. I had to replace all 46 bits because they were 1/4" instead of 5mm. I'm still waiting on new belts to arrive. Lastly I had new drive pulleys made since the knurling on the original pulley's was worn more or less smooth and it'd slip. I should have less than $1500 into it all said and done, and a boat load of tinkering on it. A little here and there in my spare time to get it working properly. It's a pretty decent machine now. The footprint is about 40" wide, and 35" deep with the fences folded up. With the fences down it eats up 14' of wall space.

My old line bore was a pneumatic Delta 13 spindle. Not a great machine, but it served me well. I sold it to the shop next door to mine for $600, which is what I think I paid for it at an auction about seven years ago. They're thrilled with it. They were using a plunge router and a template previously. I think a Festool template, but I'm not certain of that.

If you've got $20k to burn, the Gannomat Proline 50 is an awesome machine. It's capable of through drilling so you can effectively drill 100 holes at a crack. It's got a nice digital counter for the distance between the heads. If it made sense for me to spend that kind of money on a linebore, that's the one that I would get.

I would not recommend the head for the minipress. It works, but that's about all you can really say for it. The cumalitive errors add up quickly when you are only drilling a few holes at a time and indexing off of the old holes.

Deals are out there. My ancient Ritter is a relic, and a bizarre one at that being belt driven versus a gearbox, but for the money I really couldn't go wrong. Drilling 46 holes at once, instead of 13 at a time has vastly decreased the amount of time it takes to drill shelf holes. I can do a 8' bookcase side in about a minute now. I can't say what it took with the Delta, but it took a while. Three or four times indexing off the last hole, and having to flip the part to the opposite edge.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 08-04-2015 at 10:22 PM.

I have a Conquest 13 Standard with the optional hinge boring attachment. After I got it initially set up, I get repeatable results very quickly. The change over from line bore to 35mm hinge bore takes about 3-5 minutes. I wrote down all my settings on the MDF table and then put polyurethane over the writing so it wouldn't erase. I think I paid $3500 for all of it including shipping. It's paid for itself in spades. The old hand jigs is for the birds.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I don't have anything helpful to add but I'm curious how your existing jig is showing wear?
    The big problem isn't so much the template itself -- although over time I've slowly lost a number of the specialty screws that hold the flap stop in place -- but with the drill assembly. It's a hard plastic sleeve with a couple of bearings, set screw, etc., and just over the past five years of hard use (I think I got a new one about five years ago) it's started to be less accurate. Plus the indexing pin that came with it ended up in the pocket of someone I subsequently fired, so it's gone.

All in all, there's nothing wrong with it that some tinkering and creative solutions wouldn't fix, but anything I do will be a short term fix. Plus, we're so busy that I really can't spare the manpower to fiddle with it for a few hours.