Thread: Anyone ever used one of these?

Anyone ever used one of these?

Cleaning up the workshop I found this tool that I must have purchased years ago and don't believe I've ever used. It's called a Disc Chisel and the instructions say to cut between the 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock position on the disc. I'm guessing that it may be for the inside of a bowl but I'm not sure...just wondering if anyone here has any experience...good or bad..... with one of these...

CAM00258[1].jpgCAM00257[1].jpg

there is a thread over on the AAW forum about this very tool.

since links to other forums are not allowed, you'll have to go to

www(dot)aawforum(dot)org

then search for "record power" - it should be in a thread titled "anybody know what this is"

several people say it is for the bottom of end grain boxes.

another user says: "This is a very interesting and very useful tool. It is made by Record tools, and consists of a single sharp disc mounted directly on the end of a shaft. It cuts at about the 10 o'clock section of the circle, and is drawn from the center of the work towards the outside of the piece with the bevel rubbing. It is used to level the bottom of bowls, and I have found nothing that does it better. It's a wicked tool to learn to use, but once you've mastered it, nothing will do a better job. No sandpaper is needed most of the time, especially across end grain. This is a "skew" for the bottoms of bowls.
    The second picture shows a closer view of the tip of the tool. Keep in mind; this is not a tool for the faint of heart, 'cause it can give you some heart-stopping catches. But it is worth its weight in gold, in my opinion."

Thanks Shawn....I had a look at the thread.....now I'm afraid to try using it!!!