Thread: Dragon Puzzle and Box

Dragon Puzzle and Box

The dragon puzzle was made from Quarter Sawn Sycamore which has a very unique grain and was finished using Danish Oil followed by wax and buffing. The puzzle design is by Judy Peterson from one of her puzzle books.

The box for the puzzle is also Quarter Sawn Sycamore with mitered corners and walnut splines and finished with shellac. The latches and hinges are 3/8" walnut made using the Incra Hingecrafter. The real and only advantage of the Hingecrafter is that it makes a drill guide for the 1/8" drill bit. The fingers were cut using a box joint jig on a router table. The box was finished with shellac.

Puzzle Dragon Sycamore S.JPGPuzzle Box Top S.JPGPuzzle Box Latch S.JPGPuzzle Box Back S.JPGPuzzle Box Hinge S.JPG

Very nicely done. How are the hinges and latch attached to the box?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

That is a perfect piece of wood for the dragon. What a fun project!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Really nice, Larry. I like the finished puzzle silhouette on the cover. The latch and hinges are really charming. Excellent !

That's a terrific piece of work - both puzzle and box. We have a timber here Down Under - Silky Oak - which has a very similar grain/figure. Congrats.

Thanks for the comments. The latch and hinges were attached with glue and small 1/8" pegs.

This was my first venture into wooden hinges and it was a learning experience. I have quite a few that went bad or I did not like how the looked. But, I just kept trying until I was happy with it.

Beautifully done. I love the sycamore.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Very nice. You did a great job. The wood is fantastic....

Very nice. Love the wooden hinges and latch...never seen such a thing. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, please give some details about the latches and hinges.