Thread: Help a noob upgrade his workbench

Help a noob upgrade his workbench

Hi all. I've been browsing this forum on and off and really enjoy it. I have been thinking and reading about hand tool woodworking for a while and am ready to take the plunge. But, until I find I really like it I want to keep my investment reasonably small.

I have a small workbench that I built for my kids when they were little that I'd like to upgrade for the purpose. This is where I'm looking for your ideas and suggestions. I want to keep it fairly simple for now but I also don't want the lack of features to hold me back too much. The bench is 44"W x 21"D x 28" high with a laminated MDF top, as shown in the picture. It's heavy and stable -- there's the MDF plus a hidden shelf on the bottom with a bunch of ten pound weight plates on it. Not sure what I was thinking when I mounted the vise -- I made a few mistakes there.

My current thought is to buy a 60"x24"x2.25" maple top from Grizzly and mount it on top of the existing top. This would serve the dual purpose of raising the height a couple of inches (I'm 5' 8") and adding some length to the top. I would then re-mount the vise to the left front (properly this time) and bore some dog holes. That's about as far as I've gotten in my thinking.

I'd love to hear your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks, Herv
    Attached Images Attached Images

For less than what you'll pay for the maple top, you can build a proper bench out of doug fir (nothing wrong with it for a bench). The screwed together 2x4's (even with the added wight) won't hold up well after even a very short time. Also, a new bench is a very good first project to practice some hand skills - you already have a vise so this build should be pretty low-cost.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 08-05-2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Even a simple bench can do wonders..
    EndTable.jpg
    This is a recent project, all the work being done on the bench it is sitting on...
    cleared off bench.jpg

Just a simple workbench. from a dumpster dive for the lumber, leg vise uses a pipe clamp. Dog holes have come in handy, and there is a Crochet to hold the longer things. have had it for almost two years now...

Yes, it does indeed have a tool well along the back. I can also use a clamp across, one end in the well, the other to the front edge.

Blog Entries
    My thought is you may end up unhappy with the patch work bench.

Things don't usually go together properly with this approach.

As John suggests you may be better off purchasing some Douglas Fir and putting together a bench more suited to mounting vises and not having a multilayered top.

Otherwise you might consider making a different base to better fit the butcher block top.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'd say if nothing else you could end up with (a) very little working space after mounting a vise, and (b) a top that's not very well supported if it overhangs.

Chris Schwarz's book on workbench design to my mind is an excellent single source overview of the pros and cons of bench designs and features. It's accessible, rational and easy to read. This is the first chapter, it's widely available: http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/c...nchesEBook.pdf

In it he reviews feature by feature, builds and provides drawings for several of the most prominent traditional designs. He's been especially linked with the traditional French Roubo design set out in it which as a result of its combination of simplicity, practicality and good looks has become very popular. It can be built in budget but 100% practical form for very little money using box store woods (frequently in the US yellow pine) - see '$175 bench' in the linked pages.
    Last edited by ian maybury; 08-05-2015 at 5:48 AM.

I think its a good idea. IKEA and Woodcraft also sell those tops.

IMO fir is too soft for a benchtop. But OTOH, it will develop "character" real fast!!

If you're 5'8" I think you're looking at a bench height of around 32".h
    One rule of thumb is stand with palm of hand flexed parallel to floor and measure distance.
    My may prefer a slightly higher bench if you're back isn't the greatest.

I suggest you put that bench in a corner and let it be a finishing or assembly table. I would leave that vise in place for the odd time you need things held in such a position, say for sawing something.

For planing work, you'll have a higher chance of stability with a glued/m&t base than a screwed one.

A work bench is a great 'first major hand tool' project anyway.

I'm no expert, but having built 3-4, my vote is to put your money in a good vise/vises. If you can swing it, get a twin screw vise.

I would only buy a pre-made top if you don't have access to a power jointer and planer.

My thought is to put this on something to raise it up a few inches and start building a few projects. The lack of dog holes could be a pain, but you can probably clamp something to the end for a planing stop. Short stuff you can squeeze between a dog in the vice and a thin piece of wood backed against the wall. Might not be ideal, but gets you going with minimal investment in time and money.

Though I certainly affirm the above encouragements to build a replacement, and endorse the use of SYP or Fir; you can retop that bench perhaps more cheaply than the Grizzley maple top. Why not go to a lumber mill/yard rather than a box store and buy some 8/4 (2") stock of a single plank (true 12" wide) and place them side by side to constitute your top. Just place the planks on top of what you've got. Go a little narrower (maybe 9"), and buy 3, and expand slightly over the edge of your current top. You could do the same thing at a box store from their 2 x 10s rack but probably end up with more knots. One of my local mills will actually plane the wood for me at no to little charge. If you don't ask, you won't know!

The benefit of using box store lumber for two layers, is raising the bench by 3". Of, course, you can add a new base or cleats to the bottom of each leg and effectively raise the current bench. 6" blocks, pocket screwed, will put your bench height at 34", which is much better for handplane use. 2" more will still be great for all but tall woodie planes. These things you can adjust, as per your needs.

Have fun

Thanks everyone. Lots of good pointers here and things to think about. I've read a couple of the workbench books out there but felt that building a bench is a big project that isn't what I have in mind at first. I might just try taking Christian's advice and use what I have for now, on top of something, and see what I learn. Then build a better bench from scratch.

Herv

My thinking runs pretty much along Christian's advice. The only thing I might add would be to consider adding some lateral or diagonal supports to the base of your current bench so it will hold up better to planning forces. Perhaps a plywood panel across the back and a narrower one in front at the height of the upper shelf. Then you can think about your real bench build as you gain experience working with hand tools.

12. I second the advise to get Chris Schwarz Workbenches from design and theory to use (or something like that). Everyone is talking about using Doug fir for the top which isn't bad advice (that is what I have), but pretty much whatever your local construction lumber is will work (fir, southern yellow pine, Etc). Some are better than others but don't go out of your way to get one over the other. IMHO maple is a bad choice for a bench. It is harde than a lot of woods so it will ding your project instead of the other way around. Also flattening the bench will be an arduous task every year instead of just a couple hours. Go with a heavy, hard softwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Herv Peairs View Post
    Hi all. I've been browsing this forum on and off and really enjoy it. I have been thinking and reading about hand tool woodworking for a while and am ready to take the plunge. But, until I find I really like it I want to keep my investment reasonably small. ...
    There are several ways to approach this. It might be useful to consider what is it you would like to build in the next 1-3 months. This might help you determine what upgrades to make to your current bench, if any. What tools will you need to build your next project? If you are planing to use hand planes and/or chisels, you are going to want better work holding options than your current bench offers. You could for instance get a sacrificial piece of plywood to fit over your current bench and use small cleats that you screw to the plywood top as work holding stops. Also if you are going with hand planes and/or chisels, you will need to invest in some type of sharpening system. Your low cost option here is scary sharp; after that you are looking at $140 or so for a set combination water stones.

If you are just going to start with handsaws, you can probably make do with your current vise. But you might want to build a bench hook. If you find yourself drawn to hand tools, it won't be long before you decide to build a workbench designed to support hand tool methods. Picking something to build will help guide you in deciding where to start in acquiring hand tools. And the tools and methods you use will help you decide what upgrades to make or whether to build a new bench. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    There are several ways to approach this. It might be useful to consider what is it you would like to build in the next 1-3 months. This might help you determine what upgrades to make to your current bench, if any. What tools will you need to build your next project? If you are planing to use hand planes and/or chisels, you are going to want better work holding options than your current bench offers. You could for instance get a sacrificial piece of plywood to fit over your current bench and use small cleats that you screw to the plywood top as work holding stops. Also if you are going with hand planes and/or chisels, you will need to invest in some type of sharpening system. Your low cost option here is scary sharp; after that you are looking at $140 or so for a set combination water stones.

If you are just going to start with handsaws, you can probably make do with your current vise. But you might want to build a bench hook. If you find yourself drawn to hand tools, it won't be long before you decide to build a workbench designed to support hand tool methods. Picking something to build will help guide you in deciding where to start in acquiring hand tools. And the tools and methods you use will help you decide what upgrades to make or whether to build a new bench. Good luck, and keep us posted.
    I like the idea of a plywood top, and especially the idea of screwing cleats to the top as stops, which I might do even without the plywood. Wood screws are the pinnacle of my current joinery skills. Thanks for the ideas!

Herv

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Line View Post
    My thinking runs pretty much along Christian's advice. The only thing I might add would be to consider adding some lateral or diagonal supports to the base of your current bench so it will hold up better to planning forces. Perhaps a plywood panel across the back and a narrower one in front at the height of the upper shelf. Then you can think about your real bench build as you gain experience working with hand tools.
    Thanks, good ideas. I plan to do this.