Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone made his own wood screws?

Anyone made his own wood screws?

I'm sure George has made ones way nicer then mine, but here is my attempt and they do seem to work.

foto 5.jpg

http://seekelot.blogspot.nl/2015/08/making-screws.html

Why would anyone want to do this?

Why not?

Wow. That's pretty cool :-). I always like doing this kind of thing just to see how it's done. Can't imagine making too many of them, though!

Blog Entries
    Now that is taking it to the next level. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Why not?

Indeed, why not? Because we can!

Very cool, Kees. My favorite line from your blog post:

The slot is cut with a hacksaw, not too precisely in the middle, because I suspect many of the old time screwmakers must have been pretty drunk.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Thanks for the kudoos. It was indeed a bit of a "why not" moment. I've read about these handmade screws and was wondering if I could do it too. And then I couldn't find usefull screws locally anymore, so that set things in motion. This is all white smithing of course, but I am looking more and more at blacksmithing too. I'd love to give it a go some day.

Way to go!

I admire your energy and enthusiasm
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Kees,your screws look very typical of the old ones I have seen that were craftsman made. After they get some age,they will probably fool the curators. I always enjoyed fooling them!

If you are making an authentic period piece of furniture,it is necessary to make the screws too. Else,your work will just not be fully authentic. Many old craftsmen made their screws as needed.

In the Gunsmith Shop in Williamsburg,I saw many 18th. C. guns taken apart for repair or for gaining information about their construction. Whenever there was a screw,they were always hand made. Especially the wood screws holding the butt plate on. They had hand filed threads. Metal screws were hand made too,but had threads pressed in by screw plates. Those fine threads would fall off in chunks if they were cut due to the fine layers of silicon in wrought iron. So,they were "squeezed" on by screw plates. Coarse threads in wood screws were filed on. Usually with the corner of a triangular file.

By the 18th. C.,factory made screws were being made in London. But,they probably cost more than some craftsmen wanted to pay. During the revolution they were not being imported either. I guess people had to make their own.

Even nails had so much value,the governor of Jamestown (1607),had to make a law that houses could not be burned down "For the nails". Nail making was a trade that was practiced by women as well as men. I can't recall if MOST nail makers were women. They might have been in England.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-05-2015 at 1:05 PM.

Would you be willing to make some for sale?

Sorry Tom, but I am just a hobbyist. I have a demanding day job and not much time for myself in the workshop. But it really is not difficult, and you could try yourself. I explained on my blog, but when you have questions, feel free to ask. One thing I would different now is the split die. I drilled the hole 4 mm wide and my steel rod is also 4 mm. If I would have made the hole a little tighter, it would have clamped a lot better. Easiest would have been to drill the hole first and then cut the block of steel with a hacksaw, instead of the other way around like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Even nails had so much value,the governor of Jamestown (1607),had to make a law that houses could not be burned down "For the nails". Nail making was a trade that was practiced by women as well as men. I can't recall if MOST nail makers were women. They might have been in England.
    Isn't that how the 'dead as a door nail' came about, cause way back then, when mounting a door, for the hinge plate, the nail was bent over on the other side so it would not come out. So, then, the nail could not be salvaged?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    I'm sure George has made one
    When I read the thread title, my immediate first thought was "I'm sure George has made one."

I don't have one on hand that I made. They were made as replacement parts for antiques and sold with the completed orders.

This stuff is so much fun. I am going to add this to the things I want to try to do. The list is so long I may never get to all of it. Kees those screws are so good you just need to rust them up a bit and you have them fooling anyone. Woodworikers are a talented lot.
    Jim