Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    Is the ISO tied to the individual PC that windows was originally installed on? I would like to do this to so that I can decide when to install.
    No. The ISO is usable for loading multiple machines and/or virtual machines. But it doesn't replace having valid credentials for that machine... ...it's purely for the convenience of loading it. For example, I have to put a new hard drive in my daughter's computer as it went to "hard drive heaven" last week. So I need to do a clean install from DVD. I downloaded the ISO and cut the DVD on my iMac and as soon as the drive arrives I can get it installed and bring her computer back to life. The original credentials will be used.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure which of the 3-4 Windows 10 threads to add this to, but I choose this one since this one has the newest responses.

I found this article about the forced system updates for the the home version.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...windows-10.htm
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well, I went back to win 7; I was wasting too much time adapting to win 10. Could never resolve the issue about favorites. might give it another go in the future. If I have to learn a new system, It might as well be Apple.
    .... joe

Quote Originally Posted by joe aiello View Post
    Well, I went back to win 7; I was wasting too much time adapting to win 10. Could never resolve the issue about favorites. might give it another go in the future. If I have to learn a new system, It might as well be Apple.
    .... joe
    joe,

i did the same thing as you and returned to win 7 until MS correct some issues with it.

.... joe

They will welcome you to the dark side but seriously, there isn't all that much to learn with Win 10

Blog Entries
    .... joe

Joe,
    Just curious, what issues were you having with favorites? I am assuming you are talking about the start menu?

BTW: I haven't upgraded yet, but plan to do so maybe around October or November, so I am just wondering what I need to be looking out for.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 08-10-2015 at 1:57 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I am not sure I will upgrade and I have Win10 reserved for both computers. I do not like MS being nosey wanting to share my network connections with my friends and wanting to know so much about my computer use. I looked at the link in the other Win10 thread concerning all the things MS wan us t to send them. Yes they can be turned off after spending the time to find where but the arrogance of MS that they will turn them back on automatically is appalling. Yes I know we are just licensed to use their product but this arrogance is as I said appalling.

Until I hear that these issues have been corrected I will delay my Win 10 installation indefinitely.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 08-10-2015 at 2:26 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I am not sure I will upgrade and I have Win10 reserved for both computers. I do not like MS being nosey wanting to share my network connections with my friends and wanting to know so much about my computer use. I looked at the link in the other Win10 thread concerning all the things MS wan us t to send them. Yes they can be turned off after spending the time to find where but the arrogance of MS that they will turn them back on automatically is appalling. Yes I know we are just licensed to use their product but this arrogance is as I said appalling.

Until I hear that these issues have been corrected I will delay my Win 10 installation indefinitely.
    I think I remember that during the installation of Win 10 they ask if you want to participate in those programs. My memory says that all I had to do was click a different check box to turn them off. I didn't have any problem with what they asked for so I accepted the defaults.

Someone who has a better memory, or did the installation today, might correct me but I think I'm right.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It looks like Windows 10 will have to download about 3GB of data. This would take over an hour across my 6Mb/s link. You could start at 11:00PM or 11:30PM if you have daily data limits and want to spread the download across 2 days. I am still trying to decide if I should upgrade my wife's PC.

Steve

I updated my system. Now the old interface problems that bugged me are gone, replaced by new interface gremlins (cursor going nuts). The included calculator has a RPN mode, yay! And..

Oh wait, I upgraded from Point Linux 2.3.1 to Point Linux 3.0.

Nevermind.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    I updated my system. Now the old interface problems that bugged me are gone, replaced by new interface gremlins (cursor going nuts). The included calculator has a RPN mode, yay! And..

Oh wait, I upgraded from Point Linux 2.3.1 to Point Linux 3.0.

Nevermind.

-Tom
    oh yeah, RPN and Linux. What a combo. That's a pretty complete PC experience right there. LOL

I'm just not one to jump on the "newest release" band wagon. I much prefer to wait a few months (if not a year) and then decide if I want to upgrade or not....based on several other people's experiences that is.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I'm just not one to jump on the "newest release" band wagon. I much prefer to wait a few months (if not a year) and then decide if I want to upgrade or not....based on several other people's experiences that is.
    I'm right there with you Dennis. I have two Win7 Pro machines that run very well, I'm in no hurry to move to Win10.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

One last question? Will windows 10 let you schedule updates. I know windows 7 would let you schedule auto updates such as 2:00AM. Windows 8 you need to manually assist or initiate the update. I don't want random times picked by MS. I don't like being interrupted for updates, and I have a data limit each month except 12:00AM to 5:00AM which are free.

I now have Win10 properly installed on my daughter's computer and it's running very nicely. Nothing like a "fresh install" to kick performance up a notch! LOL (hard drive replacement and once I got the official Dell "recovery OS" disk to put Win8 back on so things would activate, Win10 install was a breeze)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...