Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Blog Entries
    My daily use machine is a 7 year old Dell laptop (win 7that is giving me fits as for the last few months MS up dates always fail so it wants to keep rebooting until it gets it right, which it never does. Maybe going to 10 will solve that problem?
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    My daily use machine is a 7 year old Dell laptop (win 7that is giving me fits as for the last few months MS up dates always fail so it wants to keep rebooting until it gets it right, which it never does. Maybe going to 10 will solve that problem?
    maybe this will help to solve the problem...
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...#1TC=windows-7

Ole, I think you may find that a "clean install" at this point might breath some life back into that laptop, whether you stay with Win7 or move up to Win10.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ole, I think you may find that a "clean install" at this point might breath some life back into that laptop, whether you stay with Win7 or move up to Win10.
    I tried the fix suggested by Chuck with no luck, still getting the message that it failed to install critical updates. As far as a clean install, I am sure you are right, I just don't have the heart right now to reload all of my programs and data unless it is on a new machine...
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I tried the fix suggested by Chuck with no luck, still getting the message that it failed to install critical updates. As far as a clean install, I am sure you are right, I just don't have the heart right now to reload all of my programs and data unless it is on a new machine...
    Yea, I can appreciate that...and the machine you can get for the money these days is pretty impressive. I did just do a 'clean install' on my daughter's machine and I can tell you that it was running "slick as all get-out" afterward. She didn't have much in the way of lost data...anything important, such as music and video were available in iCloud and reinstalling Office from my Office 365 subscription was pretty much an automated process. The only thing that turned out to be missing is that Win10 no longer has native ability to play DVD video content, so I had to install a free third party application so she can continue with her Family Guy, I Love Lucy and Get Smart viewing marathons...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Win10 installation was painless on my desktop PC.

I think later this week I will try it on my laptop.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking of upgrading. We have two machines. Our laptop has Windows 7 and it works fine. The desktop unit is windows 8 and it works fine, but LOML hates the multitude of things on the main screen. She was used to Windows XP which was a good system for our needs.

I am concerned about upgrading the laptop because I have and use Windows Live Photo gallery. I like the fuse and panorama features and would hate to lose them by going to windows 10.

Has anyone that upgraded to Windows 10 been able to use Windows Live Photo gallery fuse and panorama features?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have found one issue with Windows 10 upgrade.
    Settings will not open, Just flashes on screen then close.
    Anyone here have that problem?
    Looks like an known issue. I have Googled it but cant find a fix to download from a site I trust or understand what to do.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave...that's interesting. I just read your post and opened my Settings with no problems. Hmmm.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Dave...that's interesting. I just read your post and opened my Settings with no problems. Hmmm.
    No problems with settings here either - two computers running Win 10.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I can find it as an issue for windows 10 via a Google search. My laptop is brand new 8.1 updated to windows 10 less than a week after purchase. I just got off remote help with HP and they work with my computer for about an hour with no success fixing the issue. Seemed like they were trying too hard to find the problem. I'm seeing fixes on the net but nothing I trust or understand exactly what to do.

As an example
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...oes-not-launch
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-17-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I can find it as an issue for windows 10 via a Google search. My laptop is brand new 8.1 updated to windows 10 less than a week after purchase. I just got off remote help with HP and they work with my computer for about an hour with no success fixing the issue. Seemed like they were trying too hard to find the problem. I'm seeing fixes on the net but nothing I trust or understand exactly what to do.

As an example
    http://sulemansaeed.blogspot.com/201...-does-not.html
    Did you have one of those programs that bypass the metro interface on Win 8? If so, uninstall it and reboot. You can find control panel by searching in the start search box (so you don't have to use settings).

Alternately, type in msconfig and do a clean boot (don't load anything at boot time). Then remove the metro bypass program. Then boot normally.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Did you have one of those programs that bypass the metro interface on Win 8? If so, uninstall it and reboot. You can find control panel by searching in the start search box (so you don't have to use settings).

Alternately, type in msconfig and do a clean boot (don't load anything at boot time). Then remove the metro bypass program. Then boot normally.

Mike

Not sure
    Laptop less than a week old before update to windows 10.
    - Rick Dale

Sticking with Windows 7 indefinitely. It's very stable and reliable. There have been too many problems with forced updates taking down systems with absolutely no way to stop them. If that happens, my business shuts down cold. Maybe they'll get it right with Windows 11?

It's actually kind of making me sick to my stomach that the handful of software my business depends on is only available for Windows. The last thing a small business owner needs is to be worrying about the stupid computer bricking itself.

I am really starting to like Windows 10 actually. They fixed the biggest issue which was the Metro interface. They upgraded all the desktop and taskbar functionality, and the new surf tool is an improvement over IE. I have had 0 problems albeit have needed to learn a few things. If people don't like the idea of learning something a bit different they are being foolish. To quote an old commercial "Try it, you'll like it!"