Thread: Nova DVR XP "hardware failure"

Nova DVR XP "hardware failure"

Have any of the DVR owners had this issue? My Nova DVR XP lathe was running fine this morning and then shut down. The readout states "hardware failure". When I restart it, the spindle starts to turn briefly and then quits. I've tried turning it off and on, but the process repeats. Any ideas? I have contacted Nova CS and am awaiting a reply.

Might try turning it off and unplug it for a few minutes.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Time for an American Beauty?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

That message could mean a number of thing, including the failure of the optical encoder. You might go to Teknatools instructions and find how to clean the sensor. It might be that if it's dirty enough the electronics could read that as a hardware failure.

But baring something that simple, it's probably time to send some hardware to Teknatool for repairs
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Sid, I tried that. Unfortunately, that didn't work.
    Doug, the AB is definitely on my radar, but I was planning on waiting to make the BIG jump. Perhaps it's time!
    Ralph, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

Did you try a "hard restart". Can't remember which two buttons instructions said to hit together but was glancing at the instructions just last night and I have had to do similar with an iPhone or two

Eric, you might try taking the end cover and the switch covers off and give it a good blow out with your airhose. My girlfriend had a similar problem with her DVR. We put duct tape around the switch cover and it helped. She eventully got a Robust Liberty and solved the problem. Hope this helps.
    Joe

Eric,
    Remember the CONDENSER inside the Red Cover retains its power voltage for some time (unplugged) after shutdown so, let the machine sit for a bit before opening the cover. Not sure how long but half an hour should do it!
    Peter F. Nova DVR XP since 2009, and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Swing View Post
    Did you try a "hard restart". Can't remember which two buttons instructions said to hit together but was glancing at the instructions just last night and I have had to do similar with an iPhone or two
    Found the switches to press for a Hard Reset. Hold the off key, hold it, and then the down RPM Says to use if system doesn't respond to the keys or problems with the drive.

Good luck!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've tried them all and still no go! I'll see what CS has to say.

Totally out there but.... Maybe try a different power Circuit. I tend to leave no stone unturned.