Thread: Sander recommendation

Sander recommendation

Hey guys and gals, I've been waiting to get a drum sander and an oscillating sander for some time now and would like your input on which to get. I'm on a budget so be kind on the recommendations. I would like to spend around a grand for the oscillating sander and no more then $1500 for a drum sander. I know a lot of people love the supermax but that seems to be out of my budget. Thanks in advance.

I have a Vega edge sander because it was the only edge sander I found that had a movable dust chute. Thast allows me to do unlimited legth oblects. When I do trim on the W$H moulder I always clean up the egdes. SO that is 16' sometimes. It doesn't occilate by that hasn't been a problem yet. The table is 48" so there is a lot of support. I have a Jet performax 22-44 model. I am really happy with both machines.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Blog Entries
    The little Jet OES-80CS oscillating edge sander has an adjustable chute that moves out of the way for long items and is routinely on sale for your budgeted price. The Supermax 19-38 is also within your budget. I have both and wish the Jet belt speed was lower but, it is in line with competitors. The Supermax gets no complaints from me at all.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The little Jet OES-80CS oscillating edge sander has an adjustable chute that moves out of the way for long items and is routinely on sale for your budgeted price. The Supermax 19-38 is also within your budget. I have both and wish the Jet belt speed was lower but, it is in line with competitors. The Supermax gets no complaints from me at all.
    Those would be my choices also.

Jet 22-44 oscillating drum sander ... I understand that 'currently' it's out of your budget.
    Save your money till you can get one.
    Almost all the material that I process ... including assembled raised panel doors ... goes thru that sander.

Yeah, I was looking at the 22-44 oscillating drum sander and really liked it. It is about a grand over my budget for a drum sander and as a hobbyist woodworking, that's some major cash for a sander. I was trying to keep it around $1500 because my wife has agreed to buy me a tool of my choice for my birthday coming up and that's the budget she set for me. I would then buy the oscillating edge or spindle sander myself.