Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I did with my big pile of Ipe'

What I did with my big pile of Ipe'

I bought a whole bunch of Ipe' for my new deck project, over 1200 lin feet of 5/4 x 6". I bought another 400 ft. of Cumaru which I used for the skirt boards and planter box vertical pieces.

IMG_3987.JPG

I turned it into this:

IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

Still not completely done, but done for this year. It was a long, sweaty project, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

John

Looks great. That's a lot of work with some tough wood.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You deck is very nice.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-08-2015 at 8:30 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Looks like I need to make some serious progress to catch up!!!

Looks great!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

John:

That deck is gorgeous! Love to hear more about the construction techniques you used.

Blog Entries
    That is one GREAT looking deck. Would not pass inspection where I live without a handrail at the steps.
    Last edited by Von Bickley; 08-07-2015 at 10:52 PM.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

That is one beautiful looking deck.
    Lori K

Here's a link to the photos I took during tear down of the old deck and build of the new one. There are no captions with the photos, but you should be able to follow along with how I built it. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to try and answer them.

John

https://picasaweb.google.com/110467763477797452963/Deck2015?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNqcgYnIuJOxIQ&f eat=directlink

I'm not really done with the deck yet. I have another set of stairs to build but have to fix the patio next to it on that side before I can do that. When those steps are done I may install handrails on both sets of stairs. It's not required by code but I may do so anyway. I built the stairs using box construction with a 4 x 4 beam set into concrete below the frost line at both front corners of the lower step. That will give me a solid anchor point should I decide to add handrails.

John

John, very nice. The 173 photos really show the amount of work you put into this project.

Were the varying geometric shapes of the planters dictated by the outside edge angles?

Feel sorry for the poor guy that ever has to go under it to get to the waste pipe clean-out. I assume there must be other approaches to that line since you didn't put a trap door over the clean-out, and I know from following your other posts you put a lot of forethought into your work .

Very nice indeed. Best regards, Patrick

Chris, thank you. Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick McCarthy; 08-08-2015 at 4:17 PM.

I'm sure the details are done well....but most importantly, that is a well thought out design for the house. Adds a lot.

A project to be proud of-very nice design and execution. Let us know when the deck warming BBQ is !!!

Beautiful work and a wonderful design. The deck flows from and looks part of the house. Enjoy yourself

Blog Entries
    Beautiful deck. Really nicely done John.

PHM

If you were to rummage around at "the other place", you will find a blow-by-blow photo commentary of J10's deck build. Pretty interesting - the issues he ran into - basically he created them - and how they were addressed.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.