Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CBN wheel on Tormek?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    Ken, I agree on the usefulness of the 186 vs. the 185. I find it much easier to keep bowl gouge flutes straight in the jig with the 186.
    i'm now very interested in this edge testing device. I watched the demo for the PT-50 and am intrigued. Does this work for turning tools?
    From Tormek's comparison of the two jigs ( http://tormek.com/en/jigs/svd180/ ) I don't see enough difference to make me want to spend $100. The click stop setting might be useful for someone who changed the settings a lot. I leave mine on 3 since I use it for spindle gouges, sharping other gouges on the bench grinder with the wolverine.

For those who want to use wider gouges with the original jig Glenn Lucas sells an inexpensive replacement brass insert. I got one to try but I saw no advantage for my spindle gouges.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Schroeder View Post
    I actually have used three models of the edgeonup testers. My favorite is the PT-50. It is simpler to use than the KN-100. It is a newer design, and does not require extra weights (BBs) to use. The smaller unit is OK, however, the PT-50 is more accurate and the scale more user friendly. At $129, I think it is well worth the price difference above the smaller unit...
    Thanks. I NEED on of those! (I"m a card-carrying certified test instrument junky)

Is there any advantage to purchasing directly from Edgeonup? I found this company offered it for less but I did not yet compare shipping charges: http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/testing.htm

Amazon carries a some of their more expensive testers but does not currently carry the PT-50.

JKJ

John,

I think the 186 is a worthwhile upgrade for many users. In your case, I think you have made the logical decision.

The dealer you mention is Steve Bottorff. Steve and I are friends; most of what I know about knife sharpening is from Steve. When I email either Mike or Steve I usually send it to both. In fact, I purchased my PT-50 through Steve. I wanted both friends to benefit from the sale. I am a frequent Amazon customer. In this case, I chose to keep the order with two trusted friends.

The edgeonup testers are primarily designed for knives. Mine worked with my chisel. I see no reason why it would not with with turning tools. Send an email to edgeonup. Mike knows much more than I do and will answer promptly.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Schroeder View Post

The edgeonup testers are primarily designed for knives. Mine worked with my chisel. I see no reason why it would not with with turning tools. Send an email to edgeonup. Mike knows much more than I do and will answer promptly.

Ken
    Ken, I had a nice conversation with Mike this morning and ordered an Edgeonup tester.

If you haven't seen it, he is just now offering a new version of the PT50, the PT50b for not much more money. It has some enhanced guts and a new mount/support system for the media holder and blade pivot. I want to try testing turning tools to evaluate different sharpening methods and how they hold up to use. I would love to test my knives, too. I'll be sure to report on what I discover.

JKJ

John,

That's exciting. Mike sent me an email this morning with a photo of the new one use media holder. (It reminds me of the one use dental floss tools.) Ironically, Just last evening I was using my "old" PT-50 to test a turning gouge. I remember thinking that the "new" test media holder was so much easier to use than the older holder on the KN-100. Not only will the newest one use design be the easiest and fastest one yet, it should provide very consistent tension. I believe that will lead to even more accurate readings.

My gouge read BESS approximately 500 right off the 180 grit broken in CBN wheel. (with burr) Going directly to the leather honing wheel (skipping the 1000 grit wheel) and honing briefly, the BESS reading dropped to 180. (much sharper!)

In my younger days, I spent thirty five years as a troubleshooter for Ma Bell. A troubleshooter with a goid understanding of electrical testing measurements spent a lot less time climbing poles. The measurement units were universal. A fifty Ohm short in the US would be easily understood by another troubleshooter in Australia or Brazil. Including BESS sharpness readings can give sharpening standardization at reasonable cost. The procedure is quick and easily learned.. I think you will find it fascinating.

I look forward to your future posts.

Ken

ps I may have upgrade my now "old" PT-50. (not the most unpleasant thing I can imagine
    Last edited by Ken Schroeder; 12-18-2016 at 6:33 AM.