Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A new "I'm about to buy my first real table saw" thread

A new "I'm about to buy my first real table saw" thread

I've looked all over these forums and found so many different threads similar to mine, but with this being the largest purchase I've ever made, I feel the need to start a current, up to the minute, customized thread just for me!

So, as many of you might know from reading other posts of mine, I own an antique restoration shop. I'm currently using a $300 Dewalt jobsite table saw which I've wanted to upgrade for years, and business is finally allowing me to do just that - so a real table saw, I must have.

I'm considering the SS PCS31230-TGP252 http://www.woodcraft.com/product/847463/sawstop-3-hp-professional-cabinet-saw-with-52-professional-tglide-fence-system-pcs31230tgp252.aspx
    and the Unisaw equivalent(or close to) http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Motor-UN.../dp/B002YQDKM8

Both seem like nice saws(although I've not used or even seen in person, either of them), but I am sort of leaning toward the unisaw because it's $500 less if I'm willing to be mindful of my fingers.

I don't, or rather *won't* spend more than $3000. Are there any candidates in which I'm foolish not to consider? Also, if you think my choices aren't good ones, just say so - I come here when I need serious advice.

Also, is it reasonable to say that I won't be using my miter saw much any more because I can how use all sorts of sleds and jigs? I'm just finding more ways to justify the purchase, and "a tool that does the work of two" is a great justification! I use the table saw on a daily basis, and I'm tired of the Dewalt being so small. I frequently need to cut stock larger than 20" and it always irritates me in that way. is 52" ridiculous though? Would 36" be just fine?

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Mike Dowell; 08-08-2015 at 8:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Mike,

Between the 2 saws you mentioned I'd vote for the Sawstop. Both of them are very nice selections I think.

Personally, I have a Unisaw with a 52" Biesemeyer fence. I like having the larger capacity and use it on occasion.

The only other suggestion I have would be if you think you might have an interest in a slider, maybe reach out to someone that lives near you and would be willing to let you see one operate up close. Something like a Hammer seems to be priced at not that far off from a top quality cabinet saw.

Most, pretty much all, of my cross cutting is done at my miter station that consists of a 10" sliding miter saw and a pair of Biesemeyer miter saw tables.

Good luck with the purchase, Getting a new table saw is a big deal.

PHM

I agreed with Mike. SS is a very good quality saw, I would go with SS. I did have one of the first SS contractor type for many years, recently sold and bought sliding saw combination machine. Size of the fence depend on your shop size, how many times you will use all 52" of surface.
    For sure you can buy a Grizzly, I can not say anything bad about they saws, and safe some money for something. But this is your decision.
    Ed.

Go with the SawStop.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Would you buy a new car without air bags?

Do you have any employees? Even if you don't the insurance on your business might go down with the Sawstop. I'd vote sawstop...joe

I would also look at a short stroke slider. It has the added benefit of greatly reducing kickbacks.
    if the Delta is a consideration, you may want to look at Grizzly and compare.

Oh my, it seems SS is a very popular saw around these parts! It's interesting to consider a slider as I never knew they existed until this thread. Don't they take up more room? My shop is 25x25, but I've always got customer furniture in it, plus I do have 1 employee, and he's got a work area as well. So, size is a definite consideration. I was thinking of the 52" only because I hate it when I need a tool to do something, and it's not capable. So, I just figure, if I'm going to drop some serious cash on a cabinet saw, I may as well go full tilt.

Is the slider sort of a distant cousin to the radial arm?

If ya have employ and get the non slider would go with ss.

Mike-- I work in a cabinet shop. Our main table saw has a 52" rip capacity. We rarely cut anything over 36"---and then only sheet goods (plywood).

At home, I have a table saw with a 36" rip capacity. I don't rip full plywood sheets. I have never (30 years so far) needed more rip capacity.

I have a 16 yr old Unisaw that I love but if I were buying a new table saw today it would have flesh sensing technology, no question.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Delta is circling the drain. Parts seem to be an issue. I would never consider them at this point.

If no slider, I would not look for any other than SawStop.

Mike there are quite a few threads on the forum regarding small format slider table saws. Grizzly and Hammer both offer several options. Ironically there is a used Hammer C331 combination machine in my area for sale on C/L. You shouldn't have a problem working with a short stroke slider in a 25 x 25 shop. The decision on what type of saw will fit your needs is one only you can make. Your shop size should not be a limiting factor in your decision process. Lastly I would not even consider a slider being related in any way to a radial arm saw.

I vote SS as well. I know some people have issues with the the inventor's actions but the saw itself is very well made and the safety factor is a huge plus.
    Last edited by Gene Takae; 08-08-2015 at 10:01 PM.