Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital photo and movie camera

Digital photo and movie camera

I need a new digital camera for photos and also like to have a new video camera.
    I now have a Cannon point and shoot. Problem is it most always says "Battery Low" and shut down. Fresh batteries don't help. Know problem with this model and wayyyyyyyyyyy out of warranty.
    I also own a Sony DV movie camera. Works great but transferring movies is a Pain. Have to transfer to DVD first before transferring to computer to edit. can only transfer to DVD recorder because of the hook up used. Cant use USB to transfer. The camera is maybe 8 years old.

My question, Should I be looking for separate cameras or should I look into a digital point and shoot that also records videos? Not sure how good they are at doing both. Also wireless transfer would be a huge plus.
    Any recommendations, Don't want to bust the bank $$$ but also want something good.
    This is for very casual use. Just family stuff to post on-line and maybe a you tube video etc.

EDIT- I was looking at a Canon camera http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...rshot_sx280_hs Read the reviews, Looks like my battery issue may be a Canon issue and not just my old camera.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-08-2015 at 7:43 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    I have a Canon T2i that take great photos and also takes nice video. Battery life is very good and the batteries are rechargeable.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a Nikon D7000 that takes great photos and HD video. With an external stereo microphone the sound is excellent as well. One battery gives me a thousand pictures or hours of video. I see no reason to have separate video and still cameras at this point.

Have you considered the GoPro camera?
    I just ordered the GoPro Hero 3+ Silver.
    I think it will do everything I need it to do.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Could you come up with some kind of price guideline?

My wife has a Nikon D3300 she really likes but it cost more than the Canon point and shoot you posted. Not familiar with Roger's D7000 (I'm not a photographer since I sold my Pentax K-1000) but I'm sure it's one sweet camera. It too has a 'are you sitting down' price tag.

If you get one of the Nikon cameras it will work for both still and video. Just make sure you have one of the high speed SD cards. And getting one of those isn't a big deal anymore either.

-Tom

I have a Canon pocket camera that also shoots video. It had many bad reviews due to short battery life. I use Energizer Lithium batteries in it. It gets good battery life with the lithium batteries, and in the long run they aren't really any more expensive than alkaline with their shorter life.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    Could you come up with some kind of price guideline?
    I was thinking around the $250 price range but open to all recommendations till I figure out what I need.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I like having a dedicated camera (and a high end DSLR is definitely overkill for what you're looking for), but have you considered an upgraded phone as an alternative? Picture and video quality in the newest Android and iPhones is actually pretty decent, with the advantage that they are very small and light and you always have it with you. For longer video recordings you definitely want something with big storage capacity.

Take a serious look at the Panasonic ZS40, although it's a bit more than you wanted to spend.
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...&keywords=zs40

I've had a previous version for a few years, and have been extremely happy with it. It's really nice that it fits in your pocket, and can still shoot very good HD video.

Here's a review from an excellent camera review site.
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...DMC_TZ60_ZS40/
    Gerry

JointCAM

If the GoPro 3+ Silver will work for you, check the GoPro store on E-Bay. I got mine for $179 with free shipping.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Blog Entries
    I have a point and shoot Nikon Coolpix that shoots both still and video. LOML also has a Nikon D90 DSLR which will shoot publishable quality video as well as the stills. Each can transfer via a Cable (USB, doubles for charging and not proprietary) or via SD card. I find that for good photos or video, there is still nothing better than lens and sensor size. I like the convenience of the pocket sized point and shoot and it is with me a lot. But for higher quality, the DSLR is the go to device. It is so much more versatile.

Options can go up from there.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Take a serious look at the Panasonic ZS40, although it's a bit more than you wanted to spend.
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...&keywords=zs40

I've had a previous version for a few years, and have been extremely happy with it. It's really nice that it fits in your pocket, and can still shoot very good HD video.

Here's a review from an excellent camera review site.
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...DMC_TZ60_ZS40/
    Thanks for the recommendation. Ill have a look.
    I was not thinking when I made my $250 price point. That was the figure I gave myself to buy a photo camera thinking I would also be buying a video camera.
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I like having a dedicated camera (and a high end DSLR is definitely overkill for what you're looking for), but have you considered an upgraded phone as an alternative? Picture and video quality in the newest Android and iPhones is actually pretty decent, with the advantage that they are very small and light and you always have it with you. For longer video recordings you definitely want something with big storage capacity.
    I thought of a phone but I use a prepaid model and it is imposable to transfer photos off of it via a cable. Guess they want you to burn off minutes transferring them wireless.
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    If the GoPro 3+ Silver will work for you, check the GoPro store on E-Bay. I got mine for $179 with free shipping.

I will check out the GoPro. I was under the impression they were a camera to mount on something for sports etc........... They work well for a regular point and shoot?
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I will check out the GoPro. I was under the impression they were a camera to mount on something for sports etc........... They work well for a regular point and shoot?
    I thought they did, but I just read how they can be set to shoot at intervals, but didn't say anything about Point-n-Shoot.
    Mine arrives tomorrow, I guess I will find out
    Primarily want it for YouTube Videos, so I am sure I will be happy with it regardless.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast