Thread: WAterborne over a different brand waterborne?

WAterborne over a different brand waterborne?

I bought some cheap waterborne (rust oleum ultimate WB poly) to pre-coat some baltic birch ply I'm using for drawers. Once the drawers are assembled I will need to do some final coats on the edges and joints. I'd like to spray and I don't know if the RustOleum will spray in my HVLP gun. But, I do know that GF HP poly sprays well in my gun.

Should i I expect any compatabiltiy problems with the GF over the other brand? If so, then I'll just bite the bullet and apply with a brush. It's just a lot quicker and easier to spray one they are assembled, especially on the top edges of the drawers.

maybe I just need to do a test. If so, what would be signs that the finishes aren't compatible?

Lack of adhesion would be one sure sign. Peeling or flaking of the material is probably the worst case scenario.
    That might not show up for some time after the item has been in service though.

20/25 years ago, there was little in the way of incompatibility between WB finishes. W/all the different resins in use today, that's no longer the case.

Heck, many of the WB finishes have very strict application time windows you need to follow. They have to dry X number of hours, but, no more than Y number of hours - type of thing.

I wouldn't risk it myself - but - that's just me.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks for the warning. This is for our own kitchen so i could gamble a little bit and see what happens.

But, I was back at Lowes today and they have the same WB product in aerosol spray cans. Not cheap, but if I'm just doing edges and touch up it might not be too costly.

As long as you have the viscosity of the Rustoleum matched to the orifice of your gun matched, or vice versa, it should spray fine.

John