Thread: Sometimes it pays to watch Craigslist

Sometimes it pays to watch Craigslist

I keep my eye on craigslist for various things depending on my needs, wants, or possible upgrades. My son and I got an order for two dressers and began the build this weekend. Putting the drawings into sketchup while reviewing the submitted picture from our customer, I realized there were mortise and tenon joints needed in a couple of boards. I realize I could do these by hand but decided to see what was on craigslist because I have wanted a mortiser.

Long story short, came home tonight with a Powermatic 719A that looks like it just came out of the packaging (along with 6 bits, sharpening tool), and, while there, also got a Jet 16-32 drum sander that is brand new, never used, with a stand and outfeed tables. Had to gloat a bit, still can't believe it. Got both of the tools for $1150.

Good finds - congrats!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Suchadeal you lucky dog.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

That's such a good deal, are you sure they weren't stolen?

Let me be the first to say, Great find, now you will have me starting to follow craigslist.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-09-2015 at 4:00 PM.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Lol, Kent. Not sure if you were kidding but no, I can assure you they weren't stolen. The man was moving from a very large house to a condo a few 100 miles away and have to do something fairly quick. He told me, while we were visiting that he sold his saw stop cabinet saw, oneway lathe, and several other machines. Not sure how I missed those. Great guy and felt kind of bad that he was getting out.

I scan through craigslist, various auction sites, and a few other online for sale sites looking for used items almost daily. You never know what will pop up that is an excellent deal.

CL is both a bane and a blessing. I cannot avoid great deals, they have a siren song I simply cannot resist.

The result is some great tools at bargain prices in my shop. The problem is that there are so many great bargains in my shop, I can hardly walk through it. I keep telling myself I am getting rid of some, but it is happening very slowly. If I had another house, I could furnish it with tools, and still have some left over.

It's a disease. I really don't need four RAS's, four scroll saws, etc.

Anybody local want to go shopping in my shop?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Congratulations. I have also hit some great deals on Craigslist. You just have to be ready to go and pay when they come available. Lots of other people are also looking for those deals.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Rick, you are so right. I too cannot avoid great deals but do try to only jump on deals where I need (or really want) a tool. The other way I look at it is if I buy the tool at "x" price, can I sell it a year later for the same price or close to it. The mortising machine I got happened to be needed for a job I am doing but really not sure if I will use it or need it long time. May put it on craiglist in less than a year, who knows, but know I can get my money out of it when, if, it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    CL is both a bane and a blessing. I cannot avoid great deals, they have a siren song I simply cannot resist.

The result is some great tools at bargain prices in my shop. The problem is that there are so many great bargains in my shop, I can hardly walk through it. I keep telling myself I am getting rid of some, but it is happening very slowly. If I had another house, I could furnish it with tools, and still have some left over.

It's a disease. I really don't need four RAS's, four scroll saws, etc.

Anybody local want to go shopping in my shop?

Then your mortising machine didn't cost you anything. It is a "job expense", and should be treated as such. None of my tools have ever cost me anything, they all paid their own way