Thread: Craftsman style baseboard ideas

Craftsman style baseboard ideas

We live in a 1948 Cape Cod that had no insulation in the walls. Since January I have gutted all the exterior walls, insulated, drywalled, etc. The old trim was all poplar with a quarter round profile with about 80 layers of paint on it.

I'm putting two 3/4" wide strips of walnut as a picture frame border around the room as I install the hardwood floor which is red oak.
    So the house currently has no trim and I have a clean slate. I really prefer the Arts & Crafts/Craftsman/ Bungalow style. I've got about 6 books sitting on the coffee table and about 6 more on the way. One of the most helpful is Shop Drawings for Craftsman Interiors but we're not strictly trying to stay within the boundaries of the style.

This is what we agreed upon for the window trim:

Window Casing.jpg
    It will be red oak but I'd like to do the fillet strip in walnut to help accent the floor.

This is what we are kicking around for the crown molding. This might change though.
    FH03NOV_CRATRM_02.jpg

I don't have any good ideas for the base molding as most examples are just a flat board. I was kind of looking for something that I could also use a walnut accent in too. I do like the base cap in the drawing below. Does anyone know of a similar router bit? I'm sure it could be made on the table saw but I don't want to do a whole house worth on the table saw.
    Baseboard profile.jpg

So the bottom line is can anyone suggest a slightly interesting base that will go with the window casing and crown?
    Thanks

The cap profile reminds me of a Shaker raised panel. Base is just stock to size. The base shoe is simple enough to make miles of it a table saw or router table.You could inlay a strip of walnut in the base to pick up the floor.