Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Image Paint Software

My guess is that the photo was vectorized by hand and is what "a finished digital design" is.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

In watching a number of the videos, I think Doug is right. You have to start with a vector shape. In watching a number of the videos, I was only more impressed by it all. It's really a powerful piece of software that makes creating incredible things quite easy. I'd take it for a test drive and report back, but they don't have the Plug in for the Mac version available yet.

Watch some of the tutorials, I think you'll be impressed. Especially to see that yellow bird project where the bird is close to a bee. The detail is amazing.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

There are so many differences between the photo and vector drawing, with such attention to "important" or "useful" detail at the expense of "extraneous" or superfluous detail, that I have to believe it was done by hand. There are some obvious additions such as the fence and field (although the photo has the background so blown out mayhaps those features were present but not visible in this specific photo?), and the tree details are only very loosely based on the real thing. Likewise, look at the wrinkles in the skirt... hard to believe software decided to pull out those few small ones at the back and totally ignore the more prominent, deep, dark one running almost to the knee. Ditto on the head wrap wrinkles, which are totally absent in the vector, although were "picked up" in the inlaid version (as were several of the skirt wrinkles that were left out of the vector). The hair vectors also are quite different from the photo. Human drawn, I'd say.

Yes, human drawn. AND....if you're like me that would be a lifetime project. On the other hand, there's a lot of stuff that could be cut straight out that would work just fine - maybe! Whoever buys/trys this (and I know somebody will), please tell us how well it works.

If you've got something to do in just two colors, George Perzel did that a long time ago by engraving, reverse engraving, glue and sand. Takes a while, but this does too....
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)

Hi,
    My name is Vincent Doan. I am one of the developers for ImagePaint. I just got back from an oversea trip and am ready to work again. ImagePaint does not convert raster image to vector art, you would need AI native tool to do that (Image Trace CS6 and above or Live Trace CS3-CS5). All vector artworks created by Amazon Canvas were drawn by hand. Image Trace and Live Trace are not appropriate for marquetry, because they produce too many shapes. I know most of us use CorelDraw and prefer to create vector arts in CorelDraw. We can continue using CorelDraw for creating vector arts and export it to .ai or .eps file and open them with Illustrator. ImagePaint has its own user interface, so we don't need to know much about how to use Illustrator to apply wood or other materials to vector arts imported from CorelDraw. The finished digital design (vector design with wood images applied) can then be converted to toolpaths for cutting with a laser. If you have one of those Chinese laser that do not support sending through a printer driver, you need to export the toolpaths prepared by ImagePaint to a format supported by that laser.
    Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to answer them.
    Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Canvas View Post
    Hi,
    My name is Vincent Doan. I am one of the developers for ImagePaint. I just got back from an oversea trip and am ready to work again. ImagePaint does not convert raster image to vector art, you would need AI native tool to do that (Image Trace CS6 and above or Live Trace CS3-CS5). All vector artworks created by Amazon Canvas were drawn by hand. Image Trace and Live Trace are not appropriate for marquetry, because they produce too many shapes. I know most of us use CorelDraw and prefer to create vector arts in CorelDraw. We can continue using CorelDraw for creating vector arts and export it to .ai or .eps file and open them with Illustrator. ImagePaint has its own user interface, so we don't need to know much about how to use Illustrator to apply wood or other materials to vector arts imported from CorelDraw. The finished digital design (vector design with wood images applied) can then be converted to toolpaths for cutting with a laser. If you have one of those Chinese laser that do not support sending through a printer driver, you need to export the toolpaths prepared by ImagePaint to a format supported by that laser.
    Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to answer them.
    Vincent
    Awesome piece of work Vincent.

Thanks for popping on here and sharing information with us.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Hi,
    My name is Vincent Doan...
    One thing I really like about this forum is that they require you to use your real first and last name as a username, says so right where you fill in "username" when you register. I think you must have missed that...
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    One thing I really like about this forum is that they require you to use your real first and last name as a username, says so right where you fill in "username" when you register. I think you must have missed that...
    Rich, they are a sponsor of this site, and Keith manually approves all new users, so if he is posting as his company name, then it's because that's how Keith wanted to handle them being a sponsor. I believe there are a few like this, but we don't see them in the engraving forum too often.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

My Mistake.....

I failed to change the title for Amazon Canvas from Member to Sponsor when I created their account.

Hi,
    Vincent
    Would it be possible to make this work for those of us with Corel Draw, without using Illustrator?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Would it be possible to make this work for those of us with Corel Draw, without using Illustrator?
    Bill,
    To support CorelDraw, if at all possible, would take a long while. However, if we do eventually support CorelDraw, user who purchased a license of ImagePaint for Illustrator can swap without additional cost.
    I hope that answer your question.

Thanks Doug for the warm welcome. I do own an Epilog Mini myself. I live in Irvine, CA since 2012.
    And it is so so good to be back to CA after 2 hot and humid weeks in Vietnam.

In Adobe Illustrator CC we have a tool called Image Trace. Below is a high resolution (250ppi) photo.
    girl_with_apple photo.jpg

With Image Trace setting of 8 colors rendering, about 1200 paths were generated (see below)
    image trace 8 colors 1223 paths-01.jpg

With Image Trace setting of 16 colors rendering, about 1900 paths were generated (see below)
    image trace 18 colors-01.jpg

With Image Trace setting of 30 colors rendering, about 2500 paths were generated (see below)

image trace 30 colors-01.jpg
    So, for photo with lots of details it is better to hand trace as shown below:
    little_girl_and_her_apple-01.jpg
    We use the pencil and pen tools in Illustrator to trace the photo.

Upon my request, they have emailed me some actual photos, not digital renderings. This is very impressive to me. I love the yellow birds.

I wish I did more stuff like this, I'd be all in on this software. Hopefully someone here will take it and run with it because there's a lot of creative people here and I'd love to see what they could do with it.

Really cool how they used the wood pattern that looks like fish scales on the koi.

Eagle of Freedom.jpgWarblers in Spring.jpgKoi Pond 24x24 copy.jpg

40% off on everything during the holiday weekends at AmazonCanvas.com.
    Please use this coupon at checkout. This coupon is valid from Nov 27-Nov29.
    This goes for all software, patterns and veneer kits including ImagePaint Production Pro software for marquetry and inlays using your CNC.
    Coupon Code: HAPPY-TG-40