Thread: Rust hunt, is this a type 1 no 8?

Rust hunt, is this a type 1 no 8?

I found this at a garage sale friday, it is pretty rough, I removed rust from the blade to find the patent date, I think this is a type 1 no 8.

in use does this work much different then a no 7? if they are very similar in its condition is it worth anything?

I paid 4$... seemed like a reasonable risk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Show the frog and lands to finish the "type" check. From the photos it does not look in that bad shape. I have a type 9 #8 and it is a great plane, light and I love the low knob. No different in use from a #7 other than it is longer.

ken

OK, I will try to get a better pic of that area, do you have any idea of its value?

This is not a type 1 as it has a lateral adjustment lever, added c. 1885. The 1867 patent date on the cap iron seems to appear into the 1890s at least.

Quote Originally Posted by John Vernier View Post
    This is not a type 1 as it has a lateral adjustment lever, added c. 1885. The 1867 patent date on the cap iron seems to appear into the 1890s at least.

thanks, for the info.

As already mentioned, it does not appear to be a type 1, though it could be anywhere from a 2 to 4. Here is a flow chart...

http://hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley..._flowchart.php

As far as the value, if it is free of cracks, etc. it could be worth around $100 or so. So...yeah...you suck.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    With the round disk on the lateral adjuster it is at least a type 6. It is no later than a type 8. The type 6 was the last one with right hand threads on the depth adjuster. It is also the last type to have the patent dates inside the brass adjuster nut. Type 7s usually have an S cast into the lever cap, plane body and frog. Type 8s usually have a B cast in those parts. If there is a pimple in the casting, that is one of the types that fell between the cracks and is designated as a type 6a. They may have either left or right hand threads on the lateral adjuster.

Type 6 lateral adjusters also have 3 patent dates. A type 6 will have as many as 6 patent dates between all the parts. If it has an older blade, it could have 7.

As it sits, $4 wasn't a bad price.

I paid $5 for a #8 and it has become my most expensive $5 plane since the frog was broken. Now all the parts are there but it is still just a bunch of parts.

As far as pricing items goes, the best way to find the price range is to search completed listings on ebay for comparable items.

As far as typing goes Harold posted one of the old favorites. My favorite is:

https://home.comcast.net/~rarebear/p...ing/typing.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    As far as typing goes Harold posted one of the old favorites. My favorite is:
    https://home.comcast.net/~rarebear/p...ing/typing.htm
    jtk
    Thanks Jim for sharing that visual approach.

thanks, I will be posting this in the classifieds tomorrow if anyone is interested