Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dent Removal

Dent Removal

I am such a klutz much of the time. Trying to do things too quickly .. knocking over parts, or even a completed piece. Don't you hate it when you do this, and dent an edge?

Step #1: wet the section (or not - not as important as the next step, but this wood is hard) ...

Step #2: use a wet cloth and a hot iron (I have my own, discarded from the house, and kept in the workshop) to steam the dent out ...

Step #3: a light scraping and there is little evidence of the insult ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, this is such an easy and oft overlooked solution. Have used this on table tops, floors, etc. As woodworkers, it's easy for us to understand that compressed fibers can be plumped up through hydration. And I thought I was the klutz around here!
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    Agreed. I have recovered some dents and dings that, like Derek's example, would surprise you. Thanks for the reminder of a great tip.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good save Derek!

Sometimes it takes more than one application, but this works well. Just make sure you don't grab the "good" iron from the laundry closet!

Agree with Mark, and the old yard sale irons are often hotter than the new ones anyway.

Hmmm...

That looks like a power tool. A real hand tool woodworker uses these

Iron.jpg
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Thanks Derek,

Great tip to save the day.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You are not lonely in having Klutzy attacks Derek. I too have my own iron in the shop from one SMBO discarded. I also use mine on the steam setting to enhance things more than just the dampened wood and cloth. Every little bit helps. I have bunged up enough furniture parts over the years through moving too fast and carelessly in the shop that I keep worn out towels to wrap up and protect works in progress. I also invested in a padded furniture or movers blanket for partially assembled stuff too large for the towels. Unfortunately I still occasionally slip up and ding a part or two.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 08-10-2015 at 4:17 PM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Something that happened to me quite a few times is slipping with the plane when smoothing out a frame and panel door. That usually means a big dent in one of the corners. Allthough the hot iron doesn't remove it all, it certainly helps a good deal. I have an old iron from when I was still a bachelor and use if for waxing my skis too (skis are used on snow which is a solid form of water and white in color, probably pretty rare in Perth....)

I also have used the steam setting through a wet cloth to remove dents. As long as the wood hasn't actually been removed,you can usually do a good job of raising them back.

I wet the wood and then use a heat gun to pop out dents. I have an iron in the shop, also.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for that confidence builder. I too have felt the crushing feeling of defeat when something like that happens ... it is a good reminder that all is not lost.

One word of caution, it is possible to over raise the area around the dent when steaming the dent, if you then sand or scrape the area to level it, it can settle when it returns to equilibrium leaving a depression not as deep but larger in area. To avoid this when I raise a dent instead of a wet rag I use a Q-tip dipped in water and a small soldering iron for a heat source, with this setup I have more control over the area getting steamed. Make sure to let the area dry well before sanding. Many times I am raising dents on finished antiques, with this set up there is less damage to the finish to repair.

Knew of the technique, but had no idea that it could recover so severe a dent in a not terribly wettable wood. Thanks Derek.