Thread: Making a sign

Making a sign

I recently removed the home-made sign on our dock from the previous owner (who is dead, we've lived in the house almost 2 years) and am thinking about putting our name up. That would require making a sign which I haven't done for awhile.

I looked at lettering templates briefly but the reviews weren't so good. I also don't plan to make many, if any, more signs so I hesitate to go that way.

I make a large sign for a church we used to attend before we moved to SC. I used a lettering template (cheap drafting tools) to draw out the letters on 5mm luan plywood, then I cut the shapes out with a jigsaw, then I routed the sign. It worked well. I'm thinking of doing this again.

Comments? Other ideas?

For a one time thing - I think you already have the answer. I'd go with whatever is cheapest for your templates (MDF, whatever), given that they'll only be used once.

If you suspect that this will be MORE than a one time endeavour, there may be better answers for you (anything from commercial router templates to CNC routers).
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

There's a sign making forum here btw: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...nd-Fabrication

Personally, I'd draw something up in Illustrator and send it out to Ponoko or somewhere similar. Making letters without some sort of CNC machinery is a complete headache if you want the finished product to look good.

Ponoko's prices are pretty reasonable: https://www.ponoko.com

I have the Rockler templates for sign making, and they work quite well. The trick to using them is their guide bushing which is shorter than the typical Porter-Cable bushings, such that it can allow the router to bear on the template. You hold the letters in place locked together with tape, and I have routed about a dozen signs with it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

The rockler templates are easy to use--snap together and tape to surface-- and use their guide--I bought their router bit as well but had a similar one in my stash. One of the kits included a plastic guide but a friend trashed it and replaced it with the metal(brass) version and it has worked much better. Plunge router makes it easier to do and you need to be mindful of keeping the guide on track as the templates chew up easily. The $60 spent wil be well worth the time saving.

A wooden sign on a dock is not the best choice of materials IMO if you want the sign to last with minimal maintenance. Color Core would be a good choice, its a soft plastic material that works like wood and will last for decades. PVC would be my second choice but you have to paint the letters and paint will require some work to keep it looking good periodically.

Unless you want to do this yourself I would suggest that you post in the Classified Forum and see if one of our CNC Operators is will to machine the sign for you.

I've made a few dock signs out of Corian. They were laser engraved and paint filled.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Without knowing the tools available to you it's really hard to say how you should make a sign.

Sign Blank: You can do this with normal tools pretty easily. There are a lot of different materials out there. MDO, PVC, Corian, and Cedar would all make my list of materials that you could use. Personally, I like PVC a lot. For what it is, the price is pretty reasonable and you can get some pieces from Home Depot. Corian is great too, but it's much more expensive. I would look into going on Craigslist or the local counter top manufacturer and see if they have any drops or damaged pieces you can grab for cheap/free.

Letters: You have four main options for lettering. Dimensional letters, applied vinyl, painted letters, and engraved letters. In my opinion, dimensional letters are the easiest for someone in your situation. You can contact someone on this forum for letters, go to a local shop, or there are a plethora of online sellers that can help you out. I'd once again recommend going with a plastic (Acrylic or PVC) over wood, but that's your call.

Paint: If you choose to paint the sign, a good exterior latex will be more than sufficient. You can also use spray paint also.
    Last edited by Ross Moshinsky; 08-11-2015 at 11:41 AM.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving