Thread: Binoculars recommendation.

Binoculars recommendation.

I need a pair of binoculars that don't cost more than $50 and that are relatively small. Any recommendations.

Thanks
    Tony

It would make a difference what you want to do with them, but these: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-x-50...ars-94527.html are good for the price ($25, on sale from $30) and they're compact. 10x is too much If low light is an issue, for example if you're boating and will ever be out when it's not daylight. Then you'd want 7x50 or so. Glass is expensive but more glass means more light-gathering ability and a brighter, better image. Especially with cheap binocs, try a pair before you buy if you can, to make sure the lenses will line up and you can focus them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sade View Post
    ... Any recommendations....
    What do you intend use them for? That has a significant bearing on what you'll want.

Blog Entries
    I really hate to say this, but with binoculars you pretty much get what you pay for. If you wear glasses, you will want a pair with large eyepiece lenses so you won't need to remove your glasses when you use them. I purchased a pair of 8 x 40 Nikon Action EX binoculars that were about double the price range you stated, but they have very good optics, can be used with glasses and are water proof. I recommend you go to a good outdoor store and try several pair and get the ones that you feel you can afford and that you can easily see through.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm afraid that any binoculars for $50 or less will leave you pretty disappointed. Cheap binos will leave you with nothing but eye strain and a headache after using them for any length of time.
    My go-to binoculars are a set of Steiner Military Marine 8X30's. Plenty of magnification for what I use them for and you don't have to constantly adjust the focus.

What Daryl and Lee said. I'm not a snob but have owned a pair of Leica binocs (armchair birder) for years and every time I use someone else's Bushnell, Tasco, or whatever, always find myself asking, "How can anyone see anything out of these?". In bright light, when the subject is statonionary and of decent size, and there is good contrast in the field of view, you probably won't really notice cheap binocs. But that's the rub: Often, the subject is in dim light, moving, or not in a lot of contrast. THAT's when cheap binocs suck.

All that being said, you shouldn't have to spend a mint to get a decent set of binocs. I would stick to porro prism design (google it) for budgetary reasons and I would suggest something like 7X35mm. I've seen decent quality used binocs for your price range on Ebay and at estate sales/thrift stores. You will need to hunt a bit. At all costs, I would avoid any "zoom" type binocs in your price range (like looking through a microscope) and also, any "compact" binocs (which are usually roof-prism style and again, like looking through a microscope eyepiece). Best of luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks for the info Erik. I have had a few pairs of cheap binocs. The failure point for all of them has always been the alignment of the lenses. The images seen by each eye is shifted slightly, so you end up using only your dominant eye and ignoring the weak eye. It is very fatiguing. Look for one that feels mechanically solid so it will hold it's alignment. Double check the pair at the store to make sure you are truly seeing the same image through both eyes. I agree with Erik to avoid adjustable zooms in that price range.

Steve

One exception to the Bushnell rule is the 7x26 Elite. Great small binocular for birding.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    ... have owned a pair of Leica binocs for years and every time I use someone else's Bushnell, Tasco, or whatever, always find myself asking, "How can anyone see anything out of these?".
    Ditto. The Leica's rock. I am afraid that optics is one of those areas where it is definitely true: You get what you pay for, so cry once.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

My wife bought a pair of Leupolds, very happy with the optics, clarity and durability. She's a bird watcher and feels very comfortable with the adjustments.
    Mac

Blog Entries
    I have owned leica, zeiss, pentax, and Canon image stabilizing, but the question was what could he get within $50 range. For that you are going to have to go used to really get anything worthwhile. Take a look around this site http://www.binoculars.com/ They sell reputable brands. Look at the Nikon 10x25 Travelite- that's a steal at $109.95 for Nikon optics. I know- double your price. Maybe look around there and then go to eBay and see if you can get it used for less. That's how I got my Pentax waterproof 16x60 for cheap. I am not a huge fan of Bushnell, but I will say I had a pair that were decent for the low price. I can't say that for the almost unusable telescope I got from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Ditto. The Leica's rock. I am afraid that optics is one of those areas where it is definitely true: You get what you pay for, so cry once.
    Yeah and watch rummage sales of these and other good sets of glass. Often they will turn up for next to nothing.

For a fifty buck budget, I'd forget expecting two things to align perfectly, and get a spotting scope, maybe off ebay.

Out of curiosity, I went onto Fleabay and put in "7x35 binocular" and got several pages worth of listings within the OP's budget. In fact, some for less than half of it. Many were old-school Bushnell or Tasco Japanese-made ones that are probably mechanically and optically superior to the Chinese-made ones of today. There appears to be no shortage of options in his price range.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep