Thread: Nova G3 chuck....for smaller turnings....pin chuck jaws or 35mm spigot jaws??

Nova G3 chuck....for smaller turnings....pin chuck jaws or 35mm spigot jaws??

Hi All,

My G3 chuck came with the 50mm jaws and its great for turning medium sized things. I will be making smaller turnings for holiday gifts this year and have come accustomed to the secure holding ability of this chuck, so I want to buy a smaller set of jaws.

Considering either the pin chuck jaws or the 35mm spigot jaws. My holiday gift list includes coffee scoops, pizza cutters, and bottle openers. All about 4 to 6 inches in length and approx. 3/4" in diameter. The pin chuck jaw seems like the right choice, but thought I'd throw it out there

Thank you

George

The pin jaws would be my choice. I have both. The pin jaws are smooth in compression mod, dovetailed in expansion mod. Good for smaller items. Look at the specs for both jaws, and see them before buying. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

The size you need is too small for the 35mm. Even for square stock the minimum size is .984". For round the min is 1.22".
    Here are the ranges for round and square for the pin:
    http://www.teknatool.com/products/ch...sories/Pin.htm
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thank you fellas. Picking up the pin jaws.

regards

George

Just to let you know, I think I have the pin jaws. It's been awhile since I bought them. It has only 1 mounting screw vice the normal 2 per jaw. Due to the size limitations, this may not be a problem, but I can see that the jaws would not be happy if you crank down real hard on them in compression mode.

Look at the PEN jaws. They might actually work better for you. They also make 20 and 25mm jaws.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Just to let you know, I think I have the pin jaws. It's been awhile since I bought them. It has only 1 mounting screw vice the normal 2 per jaw. Due to the size limitations, this may not be a problem, but I can see that the jaws would not be happy if you crank down real hard on them in compression mode.
    Yes! I bent a pair of pin jaws while holding the end of a long spindle (about 8"). I got a catch and the length of the spindle gave it enough leverage to force the jaws open by bending the pin jaws. Fortunately, that was the only damage done to anything or anyone (except for the blow to my ego).
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

If you want to get some different jaws, by all means go ahead, I have several myself. Even with the different jaws I have, sometimes I'm turning a piece that won't fit the jaws. For instance, I bought a box of 1-1/2" dowels 6 inches long from a junk shop some years ago very cheap. I've used these dowels for lots of different projects but none of my jaws will hold a 1-1/2" piece I've made several jaw inserts from cutting boards made of nylon or maybe UHMW. Stuart Ablett showed how and they work great. PM me if you want details.

Craft Supply also has the little Apprentice 4 jaw chuck set for small items that work great and does not require loosing use of your larger chuck. Just a suggestion since one cannot have too many chucks it seems.

Look closely at the Patriot chuck 35mm jaws. They do fit the Teknatool chucks. They fit a tenon from 15/16" to about 1 5/8". It is dovetail for a strong grip. I find it a much more useful chuck size for me than the pin jaws. I have the Pen jaws and they are nice for drill pen blanks. But you get a stronger grip with the 35mm jaws for most work. Don't buy the Teknatool 35mm jaws because they need a much smaller tenon.
    God is great and life is good!

All chucks have a small dia. set of jaws built in. Look deep.