Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Service Wiring to my new Workshop help please.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Marion, I know you're trying to learn, and that's great. However, if you don't even know the answer to that question, then this is probably a job you need to have an electrician do, start to finish. You don't want to make any mistakes with a 220v line.
    I am afraid I have to agree. What you are taking on is far too much for a first time wiring project. Perhaps you can find an electrician who will work with you and teach you what you need to know. A casual conversation with an electrician or wiring inspector is not enough in my opinion.

I don't know about code requirements but Home Depot sells 100A breakers so that part of it is feasible. I've never worried about what all the breakers in a panel added up to since the main breaker should trip if the capacity of the panel is exceeded. But it would be wise to check the code requirements.

When I had my shop addition done, I saved about half the electricians charge by doing all the finish work myself. I also did the rough in for the outlets in the shop. I had the electrician run the wiring to the heat pump and most of the outlets (non-shop) and all the lights. I did the finish everywhere, and ran the outlets in the shop and my wife's craft/office area. The finish isn't nearly as hard work, it just takes some time. Drilling all the holes in the studs in the shop was harder than I expected. I should have probably let them do that too. 3 way switches are not the easiest but otherwise the finish work is quite easy.

We're mixing up terms here, the OP wants to run a feeder from his single family residence to a sub-panel in his accessory building. He referred to it as a 'service' which it isn't. That size panel will most likely have a buss rating of 125 amps on feeder conductors rated for 80 amps on a 60 amp breaker (depending on his loads). If the total connected load is say 47 amps why jump through flaming rings of fire to install 100 amp overcurrent protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Am I missing something here? Are we talking about running a 100 or 200 amp panel off another house panel, thereby making it a sub-panel? I don't believe there is a way to pop in even a 100 amp breaker in a home panel, nor would you want to or (I am assuming here) that code would allow it. So that brings up a question, how will you service your new panel? Directly from your meter box? Yes, you need to consult an electrician.

So is it a true 100 amp panel if it is fed from a 60 amp breaker in an existing panel? Isn't that like putting a four cylinder engine in a 3/4 ton pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Am I missing something here? Are we talking about running a 100 or 200 amp panel off another house panel, thereby making it a sub-panel? I don't believe there is a way to pop in even a 100 amp breaker in a home panel, nor would you want to or (I am assuming here) that code would allow it.

My workshop is fed by a 100A circuit from the house's main panel. Professionally installed and inspected. As Art and others have pointed out, though, local codes vary, and what was approved in my locale might not be allowed somewhere else.
    Chuck Taylor