Thread: Wolverine jig with 10" grinder?

Wolverine jig with 10" grinder?

Have an older Baldor 10" grinder that I'm considering for sharpening my lathe tools. I use the a wolverine jig currently with an 8" import. I might move to CBN at some point too. Has anyone used a 10" grinder with the Wolverine? Any pluses or minuses worth mentioning? I'm assuming I would need to remove the guards for it to fit. Any thoughts appreciated.

Doug

Doug -- The system itself will work, but you may need to lengthen the leg of the Vari-Grind™ Jig if the Wolverine base is too low. In the alternative, you could modify the end of the v-arm to hold the leg of the jig at the proper height. What's important is that the sharpening takes place on the upper half of the wheel.

HTH
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Thanks David. I may also need to raise the platform a couple inches. Wondering if I could instead raise the mounts to just under the wheels...

Would you stay with 10" wheels or drop down to 8" wheels? The grinder speed and shaft size should be the limiting factor. I am not sure that there would be any big advantage in the 10 wheels for sharpening turning tools.

I have a 10” grinder as well as a smaller one and a narrow belt grinder, I build a Wolverine like setup for it and have no problem making my turning tool bevels as I like them.

The biggest advantage with the 10” wheels is the amount of grinding material that a 10” wheel has as compared with a 8” or 6” wheel, with a 1725rpm grinder I have less vibration than a 3450rpm grinder and still more fpm grinding the tool.

As I learned sharpening almost 60 years ago in our shop with the normal steel grinding wheels, sharpening HSS drills and metal turning tools, I’m not about to go spending a lot of $$ on any CBM or other type of grinding wheels, though the power of a 10” machine would be more appropriate turning the heavy CBM wheels than with the low power what the 8” grinders typically have.
    Have fun and take care

Don Geiger (http://www.geigerssolutions.com) makes a system he calls Pro-Sharp which raises the platform to create the geometry David Ellsworth specifies for his grind. I am not sure of its value for an 8" grinder, but think it would work well for a 10" grinder to get you back in the right area of the wheel.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).